Uptime monitor status rule when all monitors down

Creating "Uptime monitor status" rule there is an option to create "Status check" when "ANY MONITOR IS DOWN" but how I can create a rule when

• ALL MONITORS ARE DOWN (from all locations)
  • ANY X MONITORS ARE DOWN (from X locations)

When I add filter "FROM LOCATION" and choose several locations is it "OR" or "AND" operator?

Hi @Alexander_A - thanks for using Heartbeat and Uptime!

When I add filter "FROM LOCATION" and choose several locations is it "OR" or "AND" operator?

It is a logical OR, so if your monitor is down in any one of those locations the rule will alert you.

* ALL MONITORS ARE DOWN (from all locations)

Essentially if you create a rule that has no filtering (no query and no filters), that rule should fire for all monitors, regardless of location.

* ANY X MONITORS ARE DOWN (from X locations)

The rule wasn't designed to cover this particular use case. In general we want to know if any monitor from a subset of monitors isn't working correctly, or if any specific monitors are down. Monitoring whether a certain threshold of monitors have gone down before alerting wasn't something we considered when designing this rule.

Hi @jkambic thanks for the quick reply!
Seems I haven't been able to make my question clear. The case is that I want to check a web site from several locations cause if one location reports a problem it can be a problem with internet or problem with CDN for this region or something else and it's not a problem with the web site that is why it's important for me too check that problem has been confirmed from several locations or from all locations to exclude a "false alarm" or differentiate full and partial unavailability.
Anyway I understood that rules do not support this case.

Hi Alexander - I do think that your use case is an important one and is something we should support. I've made an Enhancement Request on your behalf, you can track that issue for updates.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. If there's anything else I can answer for you please reply here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.