Use Kibana to find API endpoints with most number of inter-service calls

Hi,

I have a bunch of microservices that are calling each other. Say I have serviceA, serviceB and serviceC, the call sequence may look like:

API GW -> ServiceA.endpointA1 -> ServiceB.endpointB1 -> ServiceC.endpointC2

Each endpoint invoked will send a log to ES. In the logs that ship to ES, I have the following fields:

1. api.correlationid - this is a common correlation ID that links all endpoints invoked in one call flow (similar to Zipkin's traceID)
  2. api.command - e.g. POST /v1/login
  3. api.source - This indicates the source where the call was made from. If ServiceB gets a call from ServiceA, in ServiceB request logs, api.source would denote "ServiceA" (kinda like a referrer)

With this information, I have traceability throughout all the microservices for each individual request.

But now I want to aggregate the information to show, for e.g.: Which first contact endpoint (the endpoint that was invoked directly from API Gateway) has the most number of inter-service calls following it.

Aggregating the count of API calls by api.correlationid is easy enough to do but having a bunch of arbitrary correlation IDs is not very useful. I want to further aggregate these correlation IDs under the api.command they are associated to (kind of like a subquery).

Is this possible in Kibana?

Thanks
Wong

Do you have a reliable way to sort the events so that the first event would be the first contact endpoint? If so you might be able to use a "top hits" metric and concatenate the api.command from the first event within each api.correlationid bucket.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.