Using query profiler -> need help

Hi there,

You gave me the hint to install x-pack and use the query profiler to analyze slow queries.
I gave it a try and now I am back with more questions; -)

ELK version is 5.1.2.

In visualization I see the following statistics:

Query Duration	2978ms
Request Duration	23691ms
Hits	941807
Index	"tux-*"

Now I extracted the request:

{
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "must": [
        {
          "query_string": {
            "query": "type: useractionlog  AND NOT tags:processingTimeNull",
            "analyze_wildcard": true
          }
        },
        {
          "match": {
            "stage": {
              "query": "Production",
              "type": "phrase"
            }
          }
        },
        {
          "query_string": {
            "analyze_wildcard": true,
            "query": "*"
          }
        },
        {
          "range": {
            "@timestamp": {
              "gte": 1492466400000,
              "lte": 1492552799999,
              "format": "epoch_millis"
            }
          }
        }
      ],
      "must_not": []
    }
  },
  "size": 0,
  "_source": {
    "excludes": []
  },
  "aggs": {
    "2": {
      "terms": {
        "field": "serviceCall.keyword",
        "size": 20,
        "order": {
          "1": "desc"
        }
      },
      "aggs": {
        "1": {
          "sum": {
            "field": "processingTime"
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

When I put this complete request (including the aggregation part) in the profiler, I get following exception:

[aggregation_execution_exception] Invalid terms aggregation order path [1]. Terms buckets can only be sorted on a sub-aggregator path that is built out of zero or more single-bucket aggregations within the path and a final single-bucket or a metrics aggregation at the path end.

Why? Can I only analyze the query, oder also the aggregation?

If I delete aggregation part, and take only the query and size, I got following results:

Now I have following questions:

1. requested timeframe is complete day of 2017-04-18 (CET). So why does querying an index which holds no data for that time interval take so long? As I understand Elasticsearch is smart enough to query only the needed indexes.
    The index pattern is defined as followed:

2. Why is that query taking so long? Over a second for querying for a tag? Is filtering on tags slower than on fields und must be avoided?

Thanks a lot,
Andreas

I temporary enabled slowlog with threshold 0ms to log all requests coming to elasticsearch on the tux index of today.

PUT /tux-prod-2017.04.18/_settings
{
    "index.search.slowlog.threshold.query.trace" : "0ms"
}

Checking viz-statistics in kibana index "tux-*" is shown.
But slowlog shows, that the current date is correctly used...

[2017-04-18T16:44:54,088][TRACE][index.search.slowlog.query] [node-1] [tux-prod-2017.04.18][4] took[14.5ms], took_millis[14], types[], stats[], search_type[QUERY_THEN_FETCH], total_shards[10], source[{"size":0,"query":{"bool":{"must":[{"query_string":{"query":"type: useractionlog AND NOT tags:processingTimeNull","fields":[],"use_dis_max":true,"tie_breaker":0.0,"default_operator":"or","auto_generate_phrase_queries":false,"max_determined_states":10000,"enable_position_increment":true,"fuzziness":"AUTO","fuzzy_prefix_length":0,"fuzzy_max_expansions":50,"phrase_slop":0,"analyze_wildcard":true,"escape":false,"split_on_whitespace":true,"boost":1.0}},{"match":{"stage":{"query":"Production","type":"phrase","operator":"OR","prefix_length":0,"max_expansions":50,"fuzzy_transpositions":true,"lenient":false,"zero_terms_query":"NONE","boost":1.0}}},{"query_string":{"query":"*","fields":[],"use_dis_max":true,"tie_breaker":0.0,"default_operator":"or","auto_generate_phrase_queries":false,"max_determined_states":10000,"enable_position_increment":true,"fuzziness":"AUTO","fuzzy_prefix_length":0,"fuzzy_max_expansions":50,"phrase_slop":0,"analyze_wildcard":true,"escape":false,"split_on_whitespace":true,"boost":1.0}},{"range":{"@timestamp":{"from":1492519491039,"to":1492526691039,"include_lower":true,"include_upper":true,"format":"epoch_millis","boost":1.0}}}],"disable_coord":false,"adjust_pure_negative":true,"boost":1.0}},"_source":{"includes":[],"excludes":[]},"aggregations":{"2":{"terms":{"field":"serviceCall.keyword","size":20,"shard_size":-1,"min_doc_count":1,"shard_min_doc_count":0,"show_term_doc_count_error":false,"order":[{"1":"desc"},{"_term":"asc"}]},"aggregations":{"1":{"sum":{"field":"processingTime"}}}}},"ext":{}}],

So my enlighting now:

• viz-statistics only shows the index which is configured in my query.
  • kibana is optimizing the index, NOT elasticsearch (replace * on time based indizes to matching index suffix)
  • the profiler is no doing the same "index magic" like kibana does.
    Is that correct so far?

(system) #3

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.