Using reindex to clean up a series of indexes (6.8.12)

Background:

I am attempting to get a series of indexes into a consistent form -- the indexes span two years and over that time I have learnt a lot and there have been incremental improvements in the data quality.

The index now has a mapping specified and I don't want anything in the reindexed data that is not in the mapping.

There are also fields that have changed their names and I want to remap these and lastly there are IP addresses that now get geoip data added and I would like to do this for older entries too.

I see there is script option for reindex but the documentation is scant.

Specific questions:
1/ is there a way to tell ES not to put any fields into a doc that is not in the index mapping?

2/ can I use "painless" scripts to clean up the data during the reindexing process? --if so an example of renaming a field, or reformatting a field would be appreciated.

3/ deleting specific fields from the index (not necessary if I can do this in the mapping)

1. Use dynamic: false - https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/dynamic.html
  2. Yeah you can, that's not my best area so hopefully someone else will jump in.
  3. See 1.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.