Using the same APM Server for Multiple Environments

Hello,
I'm just wondering that is it possible to use one APM server for multiple environments like dev, test, staging. I'm not sure that it's the best practice but for non-prod environments I want to use one common APM server and if possible labeling each environment like below. For my javascript application that uses RUM agent, how should I configure the environment information (like in the Example .NET application in screenshot)

Kibana version: 7.12.1

Elasticsearch version: 7.12.1

APM Server version: 7.9.1

APM Agent language and version: Javascript React, @elastic/apm-rum-react@1.2.5

Browser version: Opera 77

Thanks in advance

For our expirence using anything relate to monitoring with Elastic APM, you can use one variable availiable into each APM agent like RUM JS, Java, .NET, NodeJS, etc. Check this below links:

For RUM JS check this URL: Configuration | APM Real User Monitoring JavaScript Agent Reference [master] | Elastic

For .NET check this URL: Core configuration options | APM .NET Agent Reference [1.11] | Elastic

Using that variable "Environment" since each APM Agent you can set from which environment are sending information like Production, Staging, QA, Testing, Development or other value whatever you want to use.

I hope this can help you and reply if you need more information.

1 Like

Thank you that's what I'm looking for :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.