Viewing Documents in Kibana

Hi,
I am new to Elastic.

I have successfully mapped and created a new index using Management>Dev Tools>Console. I can view the index on the Index Management screen. Using the console I successfully created two documents under that index.

How do I view that document in Kibana? What is the easiest way to begin analyzing data from these documents?

I hope the question was not too basic but I could not find documentation on it that worked for me.

You can navigate to Discover in Kibana and view your indexed documents here. With Discover, you can quickly search and filter your data, get information about the structure of the fields, and display your findings in a visualization. You can also customize and save your searches and place them on a dashboard. Discover | Kibana Guide [8.11] | Elastic will help more

Good luck
Rashmi

I do not see my index in Discover in the list when I click the drop down.

When I click the three dots next to the filter dropdown I can add the index.; but it tells me the number of fields is 0.

I figured out how to see fields. I am still not seeing documents yet when I do:

GET test_index7/_doc/2?_source it returns:

{
"_index" : "test_index7",
"_id" : "2",
"_version" : 1,
"_seq_no" : 3,
"_primary_term" : 2,
"found" : true
}

So I assume this means my documents were loaded correctly?

I have gotten to the point that I could create a custom template and see the data in the Dev Tools console when I do a GET index3/_search. I do not, however, see any data when I go into Visualize. It tells me all fields are empty. Did I miss a step? Any ideas?

Hi @jhop !
To see and visualize data in Kibana you would also need to create a Data View for your index Create a data view | Kibana Guide [8.3] | Elastic

Other things to check:

• fields mapping Explicit mapping | Elasticsearch Guide [8.3] | Elastic (for Visualize page fields needs to be "aggregatable" eg. keyword, date)
  • current time range filter on Visualize or Discover pages (if timefield is defined for a current Data View ) - try expanding the time period
1 Like

I expanded the time period and it worked. Thank you for your help. I changed it but did not hit the update button. Just did not notice it activate embarrassingly enough. Also thanks for your explanation of aggregatable data.

• Jason

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.