Visualizations and Dashboard Configured in kibana 6.6.1 is not available in kibana 7.0.1 after upgrading ELK Stack from 6.6.1 to 7.0.1

Hi

1. I have deployed Elk stack of 6.6.1 and everything is fine like cluster health and there are no unassigned Shards. Also we have configured visualizations and Dashboards in kibana.

2. Now i am trying to upgrade Elk stack from 6.6.1 to 7.0.1. Upgrade happened Successfully. We are able to see all indices and Data and cluster_state is green, But visualizations and Dashboards configured in kibana 6.6.1 are not available in the kibana 7.0.1.

3. Can you please let us know what is the problem here.

Hi @Varun_S
Thanks for your request. May I ask you what step you took to upgrade from 6.6.1. to 7.0.1?
The recommendation is to upgrade first to 6.7 that have a feature called Upgrade Assistant that helps you in the migration
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/upgrade.html#_upgrading_from_6_x
usually visualization/dashboard/saved objects can be easily migrated from 6.x to 7.x.

Does the logs report anything about the errors in the migrations of visualization and objects?

One last question: are you using any third party plugins in Kibana that saves visualization and other saved objects?

HI @markov00,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I am deploying ELK Stack in Kubernets Environment via helm. So i used helm upgrade command to upgrade ELK Stack to 7.0.1.
  2. I can't use Upgrade Assistant because i am using ELK Stack OSS
  3. Once the upgrade is successful, I checked the kibana logs. Actually there should be migration of index from kibana_1 to kibana_2, But the logs says that kibana_1 index is getting created .Because of this Visualizations and Dashboards are getting Deleted. Please find the kibana logs for your reference.

Kibana logs:-

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-07-31T11:38:44Z","tags":["info","migrations"],"pid":1,"message":"Creating index .kibana_1."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-07-31T11:38:45Z","tags":["info","migrations"],"pid":1,"message":"Pointing alias .kibana to .kibana_1."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-07-31T11:38:45Z","tags":["info","migrations"],"pid":1,"message":"Finished in 1439ms."}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2019-07-31T11:38:45Z","tags":["listening","info"],"pid":1,"message":"Server running at http://0:5601"}

Can you please help me here.

Regards,
Varun S

Hey @michael.russell do you have any idea there?

I am deploying ELK Stack in Kubernets Environment via helm. So i used helm upgrade command to upgrade ELK Stack to 7.0.1.

Which helm chart are you using. Is it GitHub - elastic/helm-charts: You know, for Kubernetes or something else? In any case this doesn't appear to be a helm specific issue, more an issue with the upgrade procedure that you have taken.

Now i am trying to upgrade Elk stack from 6.6.1 to 7.0.1.

This is not a supported upgrade path. As per the upgrade docs you need to upgrade to 6.7 first. Some other really important steps to take are to test this first in a development environment and make a full cluster snapshot first so that you can restore if the upgrade doesn't work (Upgrade Elasticsearch | Elasticsearch Guide [7.0] | Elastic).

I think the next thing you can try is Troubleshooting saved object migrations | Kibana Guide [7.0] | Elastic. If this doesn't work the only option left is to restore from the latest snapshot.

1 Like

Hi @michael.russell

Thanks for your reply i will check once from my side.

Regards,
Varun S

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.