What is X-Pack Watcher's Slack action "recipient" for?

I can't seem to find any documentation on this. I configured the Slack app with a webhook to a certain channel. From what I can tell, with Slack it is one channel per webhook, so I'm not sure what the point of the "recipient" field is when creating a Watcher. It doesn't seem to do anything for me and always just goes to the channel the webhook is for.

Hey,

are you referring to the to field in the slack action? See https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elastic-stack-overview/6.5/actions-slack.html

If so, you . can control whom want to send a message as well. Just try it out :slight_smile:

Hope that makes sense.

--Alex

Nope, I mean this section of the Watcher UI in Kibana:

oh I see. This is the to field and can be a user or a channel (optionally).

Which is what I'm confused about. I created a Slack app and a webhook for that app. The X-Pack Slack settings takes a url setting that I put that webhook url into. That webhook in Slack is what is set to send messages to a particular channel / user. So I added a webhook for a set channel, and because that webhook is only for that one Slack channel, setting to or recipient on the Kibana / Elasticsearch side of things doesn't change anything for me. It always just send to that one Slack channel.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.