Why is it not possible to set min_score within app search?

As the title, i would like to know how it is not possible to filter on the search score? I think this should be a really easy and useful feature, its even standard on the base elastic engine. I do not understand this, im currently testing app search to find a solution to dump out trex engine and i like elasticsearch and up until now i was kinda impressed by app search, but implementing the search api now for a demo application, basically finding EVERY document in my index with a score of 0.1 is a dealbreaker. Yes, i could filter the result on my end easily, but the paging stuff would break badly.

Hey @mrregex, this comes up a lot. App Search has high recall on searches and you can end up with a really long tail, as you've found. Addressing this is certainly in our roadmap.

I just don't understand the reason behind that initial solution, as it MAY would be as easy as adding ?min_score to the elastic api call...

2 Years on and still waiting for this feature in AppSearch!
I can understand software is expensive and time consuming to maintain and develop, but is there any indication of this coming on the roadmap?

Looks like it's possible now with the Beta API Passthrough from Enterprise -> Elasticsearch which allows you to query the index directly. Unsure what implication this has to the Analytics tho?

Thats correct, you are now able to call Elasticsearch queries to the Enterprise Search managed engines through Enterprise search in 8.4.

Analytics is still supported, you can read more about analytics and about the feature here Elasticsearch search for App Search Guide | Elastic App Search Documentation [8.4] | Elastic

Hope this helps!
Joe

Hi, min_score is still not supported within App Search. I'm getting "Options contains invalid key: min_score".

The problem is, we're getting a lot of non-sense results, this makes the experience really confusing and users are complaining about their search criteria not matching the results.

I do not understand this, im currently testing app search to find a solution to dump out trex engine and i like elasticsearch and up until now i was kinda impressed by app search, but implementing the search api now for a demo application, basically finding EVERY document in my index with a score of 0.1 is a dealbreaker. Yes, i could filter the result on my end easily, but the paging stuff would break badly.

Hi All,

Yes, its unfortunate that App Search search API does not support min_score yet.

I suggest if you're getting too many irrelevant results, try tuning the precision, adjust weighting of certain fields for your results and take a closer look to what search fields you want to search on.

Joe

Encountering an issue with App Search – "min_score" isn't supported. The challenge is, it's leading to nonsensical results, causing confusion for users who find their search criteria not aligning with the outcomes.
Pikashow Apk
Capcut mod apk

It's odd that App Search doesn't let you sort results by score since it's such a common feature in Elasticsearch. This could be a problem for developers used to having that option. If filtering results on your own messes up the paging, that adds more difficulty. You might want to contact App Search support or check their docs for solutions.

Can you please clarify your problem? Here's the App Search sorting documentation and sorting by _score is the default behavior and can also be specified using _score. Hope that helps!