X-Pack Free license - change password

I'm using X-Pack 6.2 over Elastic stack 6.2.

I've used auto-generated passwords during installation steps.
As in the tutorial I've used U/P(elastic/generatedPass) to log into Kibana.

Now to share the login, I want to change the pass to sth simpler, but I get rejected:

{
  "error": {
    "root_cause": [
      {
        "type": "security_exception",
        "reason": "current license is non-compliant for [security]",
        "license.expired.feature": "security"
      }
    ],
    "type": "security_exception",
    "reason": "current license is non-compliant for [security]",
    "license.expired.feature": "security"
  },
  "status": 403
}

Can someone advice me further.

And another question. How can I logout?

(Krunal Kalaria) #2

Hi @Mojster,

You can see your default password using following command:
bin/x-pack/setup-passwords auto -u "http://localhost:9200"

You can change elastic password using Devtool:
POST _xpack/security/user/elastic/_password
{
"password": "elasticpassword"
}

You can change kibana password using Devtool:
POST _xpack/security/user/kibana/_password
{
"password": "kibanapassword"
}

Thanks & Regards,
Krunal.

(David Pilato) #3

Basic license does not give access to security feature.

Your right. I've done what @Krunal_kalaria is suggesting and got the above error. Therefore I've posted this post.

Ok, I get it, I have no access to security, so I cannot add additional users, etc.
But there must be an option to change the password. You cannot force users to use password and don't let them change it. This is a serious flaw.

(Tim Vernum) #5

It's not just that you cannot add additional users, there are no users, so there are no passwords to change.

There shouldn't be any login screens or password prompts.

So also no passwords for Logstash and Kibana?

I've installed X-Pack following this steps:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/x-pack/current/installing-xpack.html

You're right. It's working without.

I'm used that default tutorial go till basic version and then further. So this got me confused.

Removed the solution mark.

I'm optimizing ES installation, therefore I've moved config and data folder to new location.
ES starts normal, but ES now stalls on login field and wants U/P, there there also is written that this module is disabled.

In error log I get:

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2018-02-13T08:14:05Z","tags":["license","warning","xpack"],"pid":8312,"message":"License information from the X-Pack plugin could not be obtained from Elasticsearch for the [data] cluster. [security_exception] failed to authenticate user [kibana], with { header={ WWW-Authenticate=\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\" } } :: {\"path\":\"/_xpack\",\"statusCode\":401,\"response\":\"{\\\"error\\\":{\\\"root_cause\\\":[{\\\"type\\\":\\\"security_exception\\\",\\\"reason\\\":\\\"failed to authenticate user [kibana]\\\",\\\"header\\\":{\\\"WWW-Authenticate\\\":\\\"Basic realm=\\\\\\\"security\\\\\\\" charset=\\\\\\\"UTF-8\\\\\\\"\\\"}}],\\\"type\\\":\\\"security_exception\\\",\\\"reason\\\":\\\"failed to authenticate user [kibana]\\\",\\\"header\\\":{\\\"WWW-Authenticate\\\":\\\"Basic realm=\\\\\\\"security\\\\\\\" charset=\\\\\\\"UTF-8\\\\\\\"\\\"}},\\\"status\\\":401}\",\"wwwAuthenticateDirective\":\"Basic realm=\\\"security\\\" charset=\\\"UTF-8\\\"\"}"}

Edit:
I've tried to remove X-pack in the location & I get:

PS G:\elasticStack\elasticsearch> .\bin\elasticsearch-plugin remove x-pack
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not load plugin descriptor for existing plugin [x-pack
]. Was the plugin built before 2.0?
        at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.getPluginBundles(PluginsService.java:352)
        at org.elasticsearch.plugins.RemovePluginCommand.execute(RemovePluginCommand.java:89)
        at org.elasticsearch.plugins.RemovePluginCommand.execute(RemovePluginCommand.java:67)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.EnvironmentAwareCommand.execute(EnvironmentAwareCommand.java:86)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.MultiCommand.execute(MultiCommand.java:75)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.mainWithoutErrorHandling(Command.java:124)
        at org.elasticsearch.cli.Command.main(Command.java:90)
        at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginCli.main(PluginCli.java:48)
Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: G:\elasticStack\elasticsearch\plugins\x-pack\plugin-descriptor.properties
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
        at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
        at java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Unknown Source)
        at java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider.newInputStream(Unknown Source)
        at java.nio.file.Files.newInputStream(Unknown Source)
        at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginInfo.readFromProperties(PluginInfo.java:202)
        at org.elasticsearch.plugins.PluginsService.getPluginBundles(PluginsService.java:349)
        ... 8 more
PS G:\elasticStack\elasticsearch>

And I cannot installed it over:

[=================================================] 100%  
ERROR: plugin directory [G:\elasticStack\elasticsearch\plugins\x-pack] already exists; if you need to update the plugin,
 uninstall it first using command 'remove x-pack'

I think it could be my problem with data directory.

I was a little bit to quick here.

(system) #10

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.