X-pack in 6.3 version

Hi,
I have started ES 6.3 on my unix machine.
x-pack security is true in configuration.
Assuming x-pack is already there I am running /bin/./elasticsearch-setup-passwords
it gives me error:

Unexpected response code [403] from calling 
GET http://my-Host:9202/_xpack/security/_authenticate?pretty
It doesn't look like the X-Pack security feature is available on this Elasticsearch node.
Please check if you have installed a license that allows access to X-Pack Security feature.

ERROR: X-Pack Security is not available.

Why is that error, even if I enabled the security. You mentioned in the document that x-pack is already installed in 6.3. I enabled security from configuration. Please let me know what is missing?
I want to setup passwords for elastic/kibana.
I was referring to the link https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.3/configuring-security.html

BR,
Sunil.

You need to have a license for that: gold, platinum or trial.
You can activate a trial license from Kibana if you wish.

Hi David,
thanks for quick reply.

Does it means just click on Licence Management link in Kibana?
When I clicked I got message

Your basic license is Active

Your license will expire on  **September 24, 2018 7:09 PM SGT** .

Can I run the password interactive now?

So in summary:
ES-6.2 and below needs separate installation of x-pack (does not come with ES)
No need of basic(Or trial) license to activate (it comes in-built with your x-pack )

is this correct?

It seems, I am not using correct version of Kibana.
I have Kibana 6.2. This is not good choice for 6.3. Icant see that trial license link under license management.

BR,
Sunil.

You need to use the same version of Kibana and Elasticsearch. From 6.3 onwards, the free basic license is available by default and does not expire. A trial license do however need to be activated through Kibana, and is time limited. As X-Pack is bundled in the distribution there is no longer any plugins that need to be installed, which was the case previously.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.