X-pack in 6.3 version

(Sunil Chaudhari) #1

Hi,
I have started ES 6.3 on my unix machine.
x-pack security is true in configuration.
Assuming x-pack is already there I am running /bin/./elasticsearch-setup-passwords
it gives me error:

Unexpected response code [403] from calling 
GET http://my-Host:9202/_xpack/security/_authenticate?pretty
It doesn't look like the X-Pack security feature is available on this Elasticsearch node.
Please check if you have installed a license that allows access to X-Pack Security feature.

ERROR: X-Pack Security is not available.

Why is that error, even if I enabled the security. You mentioned in the document that x-pack is already installed in 6.3. I enabled security from configuration. Please let me know what is missing?
I want to setup passwords for elastic/kibana.
I was referring to the link https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.3/configuring-security.html

BR,
Sunil.

(David Pilato) #2

You need to have a license for that: gold, platinum or trial.
You can activate a trial license from Kibana if you wish.

(Sunil Chaudhari) #3

Hi David,
thanks for quick reply.

Does it means just click on Licence Management link in Kibana?
When I clicked I got message

Your basic license is Active

Your license will expire on  **September 24, 2018 7:09 PM SGT** .

Can I run the password interactive now?

So in summary:
ES-6.2 and below needs separate installation of x-pack (does not come with ES)
No need of basic(Or trial) license to activate (it comes in-built with your x-pack )

is this correct?

(Sunil Chaudhari) #4

It seems, I am not using correct version of Kibana.
I have Kibana 6.2. This is not good choice for 6.3. Icant see that trial license link under license management.

BR,
Sunil.

(Christian Dahlqvist) #5

You need to use the same version of Kibana and Elasticsearch. From 6.3 onwards, the free basic license is available by default and does not expire. A trial license do however need to be activated through Kibana, and is time limited. As X-Pack is bundled in the distribution there is no longer any plugins that need to be installed, which was the case previously.

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.