Action [indices:admin/create] is unauthorized for user [kibana]

Hi,

I am new to ElasticSearch and Kibana. Installed elasticsearch and Kibana at my laptop. Installed xpack also.
I ran elasticsearch and kibana batch. And the trying to run below line in Dev Tools of Kibana.

PUT /schools?pretty

When running this, I am getting below error.

{
"error": {
"root_cause": [
{
"type": "security_exception",
"reason": "action [indices:admin/create] is unauthorized for user [kibana]"
}
],
"type": "security_exception",
"reason": "action [indices:admin/create] is unauthorized for user [kibana]"
},
"status": 403
}

Please help me. Yesterday it was working fine. I dont have any idea what change I made , so that it stopped working.

Thanks in advance all.
RC

The kibana system user is for Kibana to connect to Elasticsearch, and basically only gives access to the .kibana index and some cluster level privileges. You should not use this as a user of Kibana. Instead you should create a separate user that is given the kibana_userrole as well as roles that grant access to the actual data the user need to be able to access.

Thanks Christian for the reply.
In one another thread, I got to know that I should not login with Kibana username. But now I am struggling to login with elasticsearch login. I dont know where to change and how to login using elasticsearch username.
Should I modify kibana.yml file?

hey thanks Christian,

After deleting cache, it asked me for password. So now its working fine. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
RC

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.