Action [indices:admin/create] is unauthorized for user

Hi Team,

tl;dr: Complains that user needs one of [create_index,manage,all], but user has create_index and manage

A pretty basic error message here that seems very straightforward but is giving my team trouble.

I am trying to run this command in Kibana DevTools Console:

PUT /test-search/
{
	"mappings":{
		"properties":{
			"id":{
				"type":"integer"
			}
		}
	}
}

However the response is:

{
  "error" : {
    "root_cause" : [
      {
        "type" : "security_exception",
        "reason" : "action [indices:admin/create] is unauthorized for user [matt.stubbs@fakeemail.com] with roles [IRE Core Team,monitoring_user] on indices [test-search], this action is granted by the index privileges [create_index,manage,all]"
      }
    ],
    "type" : "security_exception",
    "reason" : "action [indices:admin/create] is unauthorized for user [matt.stubbs@fakeemail.com] with roles [IRE Core Team,monitoring_user] on indices [test-search], this action is granted by the index privileges [create_index,manage,all]"
  },
  "status" : 403
}

So it SEEMS that my user doesn't have the specified privileges in the assigned roles... however, they are set:

My first thought was that the user wasn't mapped correctly, but I checked that and the correct role is showing in the error message anyway. So... I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Any help appreciated!

After trying some of the dumbest stuff ever written on the internet a fix was found.
Just change the indicies field to be *

2 Likes

Welcome to our community! :smiley:

Thanks heaps for sharing your solution as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.