Ad-hoc data views rationale

I'm not sure about the ad-hoc data views use case. I cannot find any rationale behind it in documentation. For now I have a lot of problems as many of lens/visualisations from integrations are using them, then I cannot change it in one place to include, i.e. remote clusters data there. Wouldn't it be more rational for these ad-hoc views to be based on those persistent ones to be more composable and to have single-point-of-control for base scope selection?
Maybe I misunderstood something and there is already convenient way to manage those relations. Could someone advise me on this topic?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @tancredi . Just wanted you to know that the team saw your feedback.

Ad-hoc data views are used in many programmatic scenarios in Kibana (e.g. apps creating hidden data views behind the scenes to power specific embedded visualizations).

However, I think your feedback is targeting the user-created ad-hoc data views in particular.

From that perspective: since the data view menu surfaces all library data views, users were ending up with a lot of clutter, as well being reluctant to create new data views for specific objectives.

The thinking was that users might have use for a temporary data view during data exploration without committing it to the global data view picker.

Another case is that you may have a bespoke visualization that uses specific runtime fields or a special index pattern (for example) without necessarily needing/wanting to reuse that configuration elsewhere.

That said, you aren't the only one who has been interested in some sort of middle ground or at least a smoother relationship between the two types of data views.

Other ideas have included added the ability to promote ad-hoc data views to library data views or the possibility to reuse ad-hoc data views among panels on the same dashboard.

To sum up, I think there's work to do to polish this UX further, but hopefully that gives you some insight into why these exist. Thanks for posting your feedback.