All commands in the elasticsearch-2.1.0/bin directory hang silently on RHEL 7

I'm working on an upgrade from 1.6.0 to 2.1.0. This is on RHEL 7 and Java 1.8.0_40.

The issue is that when I execute any command in the elasticsearch-2.1.0/bin directory (elasticsearch, plugin, etc.), it just hangs indefinitely. There is no log or console output. However, if I switch to the elasticsearch-1.6.0 directory and execute any command, it works fine.

If I unpack the same 2.1.0 tar file on my Mac and execute a command, it also works fine. It appears to be an issue specific to RHEL 7 and elasticsearch 2.1.0.

I feel like I must be missing something, but I'm not sure where to go with this. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Its kind of hard to tell. We test the rpm and tar on RHEL 7 as part of the build so I don't expect it to be broken in general. I'd try to debug this starting with running bin/plugin, watching it hang, and then:

1. Check what elasticsearch stuff is running with ps aux.
  2. Get a stack trace from the Java process with jstack. There might be a smoking gun there.

Thanks for the response, and sorry for the delay. It ended up being a mounted filesystem that died - unrelated to ElasticSearch. We're running 2.1 and all is well.