Installation seems to hang

Dear all,

I hope you'll forgive me for my utter noobness. With the help of Install Elasticsearch from archive on Linux or MacOS | Elasticsearch Guide [7.14] | Elastic, I tried installing ES for Linux. When I got to step "Running Elasticsearch from the command line", typed ./bin/elasticsearch and hit enter, the process began to hang indefinitely. Here are the final lines from my terminal:

[2021-08-11T21:36:25,102][INFO ][o.e.i.g.GeoIpDownloader  ] [plesk01.snel.com] geoip database [GeoLite2-City.mmdb] is up to date, updated timestamp
[2021-08-11T21:36:25,218][INFO ][o.e.i.g.GeoIpDownloader  ] [plesk01.snel.com] geoip database [GeoLite2-Country.mmdb] is up to date, updated timestamp
[2021-08-11T21:36:27,099][INFO ][o.e.i.g.DatabaseRegistry ] [plesk01.snel.com] database file changed [/tmp/elasticsearch-8441497374832882486/geoip-databases/dc7GhAjvSIioe-Myj5Cn3Q/GeoLite2-City.mmdb], reload database...

What can I do?

1 Like

Celebrate? Looks like Elasticsearch is up and running. From the page you linked:

By default, Elasticsearch runs in the foreground, prints its logs to the standard output ( stdout ), and can be stopped by pressing Ctrl-C .

1 Like

Thanks, haha, that's rather good news!
Didn't I say "noobness"

1 Like

You're not the first to ask, and probably not the last. I opened a PR to clarify the docs in this area:

... and also this issue since these newly-introduced log messages are likely adding to the confusion:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.