Applying different colors to different bars in a vertical bar chart visualization

Hi all,

I have a bar graph representing certain jobs on x-axis and their corresponding job times on y-axis. I'm using the max aggregation.

Here is how my graph looks like:

I would like to represent the job with the maximum time, using a color different from the color used for the rest of the jobs. For example, I would like to represent the job A in the given graph with the color red and the rest of the jobs with the color green.

How can I accomplish this?

I'm using Elasticsearch 5.2.0 and Kibana 5.2.0 on windows 7.

Thanks in advance

@GautamP, very interesting. I guess you want to highlight the "highest" item.

The color-coding in Kibana bar-charts is the same for every metric. Only when you split, you could have different colors. But such a split would be "vertical", not horizontal.

I don't really see how you could do that now. I would create a new enhancement request in the repo: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/new

@thomasneirynck Thanks for the suggestion. I have created an issue: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/10678

1 Like

Hi Gautam,

I have a possible solution that I've used before. Split Bars a second time by the same term like shown below.

Regards,
Lee

7 Likes

@LeeDr Your solution works like a charm.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm able to obtain:

But there is one limitation. When I split the bars, all bars have different colors as shown below:

As a solution to my problem, I then have to manually set the color of the highest bar to red and the color of the rest of the bars to green. It would be better if there was an option to have the highest bar in one color and the rest in another color, by default.

Anyway, thanks for your solution :+1:

Hi @LeeDr ,

Is there a way to modify the source code of the vertical bar chart visualization of my local kibana instance so that the highest bar has a different colour by default?

Thanks and regards,
Gautam

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.