AWS Lambda with OpenTelemetry/dotnet - No data in the “Metrics” section

Kibana version: 8.6.1

Elasticsearch version: 8.6.1

APM Server version: 8.6.1

Fresh install or upgraded from other version?
Fresh installation

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):
In my AWS Lambda functions, I'm utilising the following OTEL agent for sending APM data to my self-managed elastic server.
opentelemetry/dotnet 1.3.2.732
However, I can see NO data in the Metrics section of the apropriate service, as you can easily see in the following screenshot!

I've checked Github for a related issue and I found this:

In my point of view I think that is absolutely related with my issue.
Any comments are apreciated!

Hi @javaripa ,

I don't know which metrics OpenTelemetry/dotnet collects out of the box.
But if it's system.cpu.utilization and system.memory.utilization (as described in this specification: Semantic Conventions for System Metrics | OpenTelemetry) then there is already a fix for it in this PR: Added support for OpenTelemetry process and system metrics by AlexanderWert · Pull Request #151826 · elastic/kibana · GitHub

So, it will be available with the next release of the Elastic stack.

Looking forward to testing it with the upcoming Kibana 8.8.0 version.

Hi @alexander.wert ,
I have just finished with the upgrade of Kibana (8.8.0) !
Unfortunately my issue has not been resolved.
I can still see NO data in the Metrics section.

Hi @javaripa ,

can you check if the metrics are being collected at all by the OTel .NET agent?

For example by querying in Discover for something like the following and check if there are any documents matching this:

service.name : "YOUR_SERVICE_NAME" and system.cpu.utilization : *

Hi @alexander.wert ,
It seems that the aforementioned metrics are NOT collected at all by the OTEL agent.
The fields system.cpu.utilization and system.memory.utilization do not exist in the "Available fields" or the "Empty fields" section.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.