Browser Displays Text (No Dashboard)

I am new to ELK. I have an ESXI environment and I created a single-node ELK stack using this guide: https://burnhamforensics.com/2018/08/14/creating-a-single-node-elk-stack/.

When I access the URL (http://192.168.1.12:9200/) I receive the text output below.

{
  "name" : "REDACTED",
  "cluster_name" : "REDACTED",
  "cluster_uuid" : "REDACTED",
  "version" : {
    "number" : "6.8.12",
    "build_flavor" : "default",
    "build_type" : "deb",
    "build_hash" : "7a15d2a",
    "build_date" : "2020-08-12T07:27:20.804867Z",
    "build_snapshot" : false,
    "lucene_version" : "7.7.3",
    "minimum_wire_compatibility_version" : "5.6.0",
    "minimum_index_compatibility_version" : "5.0.0"
  },
  "tagline" : "You Know, for Search"
}

I did see a community post regarding a similar issue, but the verified solution did not work for me. I am also hoping this post will help me get a better understanding of ELK in general too. I also started to configure Beats and that should be working, but have not checked the logs yet.

Hi @LogMonitor

Welcome to the community.

The endpoint you accessed us the elasticsearch endpoint which runs on port 9200.

If you installed Kibana in the same server try the same

http://192.168.1.12:5601/

I did notice that you installed version 6.8.12 , if you don't have a specific reason to do so I would recommend our latest version 7.9.2.

Also you might want to look at the documents on our site.

Also we have some great getting started videos.

Stephenb,

Thank for your reply. Thanks for noticing the port difference. I read through both YAML files a little closer and get the difference now. I used the package manager to install all the services needed. I will look into upgrading. I plan on doing a lot with ELK + BEATS, but due to my schedule lately, just trying to get the basics up and running at a minimum.

I am poking at each issue while doing some other builds. After checking out the port, I received a new message: "Kibana server is not ready yet."

I deleted the indices on port 9200 (ES) as if I knew what I was doing and they are not rebuilding automatically after restart.

I can still mark your answer as a solution. Should I make a new post for these issues?

Yes please use new posts for new questions

I highly recommend going through our install / setup docs and watching the introductory videos on our site.

The article you are referencing is certainly solid but a bit out of date.

For guidance when you post questions please post your configurations in txt and formatted with the txt formatting button above </>

Thanks. Will do. I should have mentioned that I modified the instructions I found and changed a few things. I created a custom install guide with my own tweaks. The basics are still there though. I will have a look at official documentation and see where the gaps are.

1 Like

I found the last line I needed to uncomment in a YAML file related to the URL and port issue. Dashboard loaded. I will still look at official docs, but now my quick start guide is complete and I have a functional dev box. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.