Can not open Stack monitoring

I'm having exactly the same issue. For what I've been able understand, the problem is not the user role or permission but instead the error in the search API request:

For instance, this API request method from the log:

/%3A.monitoring-es-6-%2C*%3A.monitoring-es-7-%2C.monitoring-es-6-%2C.monitoring-es-7-*/_search

is the problematic request. I crafted multiple requests based on the one above to find out where the problem is by removing part of it. Basically, the request above is doing a multiple index search be separating index patterns with , (%2C) and : (%3A)

In my particular case, this is the path:

/*%3A.monitoring-es-6-*%2C*%3A.monitoring-es-7-*%2C.monitoring-es-6-*%2C.monitoring-es-7-*/_search

removing url encoded string:

/*:.monitoring-es-6-*,*:.monitoring-es-7-*,.monitoring-es-6-*,.monitoring-es-7-*/_search

Resulting in an error
{
  "error" : {
    "root_cause" : [
      {
        "type" : "security_exception",
        "reason" : "action [indices:data/read/search[phase/query]] is unauthorized for user [elastic]"
      },
      {
        "reason" : "action [indices:data/read/search[phase/query]] is unauthorized for user [elastic]"
      },
      {
      },
      {
      },
      {
      },
      {
      }
    ],
    "type" : "search_phase_execution_exception",
    "reason" : "all shards failed",
    "phase" : "query",
    "grouped" : true,
    "failed_shards" : [
      {
        "shard" : 0,
        "index" : ".monitoring-es-7-2020.08.06",
        "reason" : {
          "reason" : "action [indices:data/read/search[phase/query]] is unauthorized for user [elastic]",
          "caused_by" : {
            "type" : "illegal_state_exception",
            "reason" : "There are no external requests known to support wildcards that don't support replacing their indices"
          }
        }
      },
      {
        "index" : ".monitoring-es-7-2020.08.07",
          "reason" : "action [indices:data/read/search[phase/query]] is unauthorized for user [elastic]",
            "reason" : "There are no external requests known to support wildcards that don't support replacing their indices"
          }
        }
      },
      {
        "index" : ".monitoring-es-7-2020.08.08",
          }
        }
      },
      {
        "index" : ".monitoring-es-7-2020.08.09",
          }
        }
      },
      {
        "index" : ".monitoring-es-7-2020.08.10",
          }
        }
      },
      {
        "index" : ".monitoring-es-7-2020.08.11",
          }
        }
      }
    ]
  },
  "status" : 403
}

If I manually remove : from the path request and try that again in dev tools it works:

POST /*.monitoring-es-6-*,.monitoring-es-7-*,.monitoring-es-6-*,.monitoring-es-7-*/_search

Anyways, that's the cause of the error but I'm not sure why it's happening, where is *: being appended and if it's a correct path syntax or not.

POST /*:/_search doesn't looks OK to me, but I honestly don't know.

@chrisronline Any clues?