CSV Export - Kibana.log error - TypeError: Cannot read property 'convert' of undefined

Hello,

I recently updated Kibana 7.10.2 to 7.15.0 and with the update/upgrade of Kibana I started noticing the below error in kibana.log when an CSV export running and missing data in the exported CSV file. This error message is sporadically repeated throughout in the kibana.log until the CSV export is completed.

I had no issue with exporting/generating CSV in 7.10.2

The issues that are occuring (probably related):

1. The CSV file not containing the all of the expected data

2. Error message / Kibana yellow status

Issue 1
The CSV export are not containing the data that is represented in Discover. For example, between the time span 2020-01-01 00:00:00 to 2021-01-01 00:00:00 , sometimes the exported CSV file contains data from 2021-01-01 00:00:00 to 2020-03-11 00:00:00 (dsc order) - in other words the CSV is not exporting all of the events within the selected time span.

Issue 2
Below error message is occuring in kibana.log while the CSV export is running.

TypeError: Cannot read property 'convert' of undefined
    at /usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/export_types/csv_searchsource/generate_csv/generate_csv.js:177:42
    at Array.map (<anonymous>)
    at CsvGenerator.generateRows (/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/export_types/csv_searchsource/generate_csv/generate_csv.js:239:11)
    at CsvGenerator.generateData (/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/export_types/csv_searchsource/generate_csv/generate_csv.js:355:14)
    at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:95:5)
    at runTask (/usr/share/kibana/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/export_types/csv_searchsource/execute_job.js:46:12)

In addtion to this error message, the Kibana node that is processing the CSV export goes into "YELLOW status" and a bunch of plugin goes yellow and two of them is:
plugin:reporting[2] services are degraded
plugin:encryptedSavedObjects [security]: [taskManager]: Task Manager is unhealthy
My assumptions is this occurs since there is a lot of error messages generated by the CSV export and the thresehold is surpassed.

I am using the following config for kibana.yml and Elasticsearch.yml that affects the reporting.

kibana.yml

xpack.reporting.csv.maxSizeBytes: 209715200 
elasticsearch.requestTimeout: 60000 
xpack.reporting.queue.timeout: 3000000 
xpack.reporting.csv.scroll.size: 1500 
xpack.reporting.csv.scroll.duration: 1m

Elasticsearch.yml
http.max_content_length: 200mb

What I have tested

• Checked the all of the Elasticsearch.log within the cluster - no indication of error while CSV export is running

• Compared the script that is on github with the one used on the server kibana/generate_csv.ts at 7.15 · elastic/kibana · GitHub - they seem to be different but the file on github is a .ts file so I dont know if its correct comparision. I am not very familiar with javascript.

• Generated .har files to be able to identify if above error message is occuring during the same point in time as a request/fetch is sent - I can only identify that the fetches takes a few ms longer, when the export have been running for about 3-4 min, but I dont think this is an issue.

• I performed light user activity during the export to rule out any timeout issues

• I used the curl -X GET "localhost:5601/api/task_manager/_health" -H 'kbn-xsrf: true' to get the status of the taskmgr, before, during and after CSV export and compared the files but not really sure what I am looking for.

• I am not getting any error from the Reporting view (/management/insightsAndAlerting/reporting) that the CSV have max out or anything like that

• Made exports on the same search and the amount of rows exported to the CSV file varied every time.

Yet to try

• Enable kibana debug and see if it is telling something else

Question

• Does anyone know why I am having this error or experinced something similar?

/H

Hi, this is a bug :slightly_frowning_face: . I don't see any related issue filed right now in the issue tracker: Issues · elastic/kibana · GitHub. I will file one.

Can you provide a few example documents that reproduce this problem?

I think the instability caused by exporting a large set of data with CSV generation in 7.15 is a different bug. I will file that as well.

Filed:

Sorry for late reply. I have a support case on this as well.
Do you need any more information?

Do you have any ETA when the export issue will be fixed or is it possible to hotfix myself?

Thanks for feedback!

Yes, can you provide a dataset example that reproduces this issue?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.