Default X-Pack on FreeBSD 11.1 breaks Kibana

Here is a simple exercise leading to a reproducible bug.

Install FreeBSD 11.1

pkg install elasticsearch5
pkg install kibana5

Place startup files in /etc/rc.conf.d/

Test Kibana, it'll work fine.

service kibana stop
service elasticsearch stop
pkg install kibana5-x-pack

service elasticsearch start
service kibana start

Check Kibana, this is what it says with Chrome

This page isn’t working

192.168.56.254 redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

These are the packages installed.

elasticsearch5-5.3.0_1
kibana5-5.3.0_1
kibana5-x-pack-5.3.0

Log is full of this:

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2017-12-04T02:52:02Z","tags":["license","warning","xpack"],"pid":690,"message":"License information could not be obtained from Elasticsearch. [illegal_argument_exception] No endpoint or operation is available at [_xpack] :: {"path":"/_xpack","statusCode":400,"response":"{\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"illegal_argument_exception\",\"reason\":\"No endpoint or operation is available at [_xpack]\"}],\"type\":\"illegal_argument_exception\",\"reason\":\"No endpoint or operation is available at [_xpack]\"},\"status\":400}"}"}

I am new to Elastic, I have the Gormley & Tong book, perhaps this is a simple thing to fix, but I am not sure what to do. It really seems like this should either work, or produce a sensible error.

According to the support matrix, FreeBSD is not a supported operating system. I am therefore not sure who creates and maintains the packages you have installed. When installing X-Paxk, it does need to be installed on Elasticsearch as well as Kibana, so it is possible that you have missed a package.

OK, thank you - that is what was missing. Proper installation is as follows:

pkg install elasticsearch5
pkg install kibana5
pkg install elasticsearch5-x-pack
pkg install kibana5-x-pack

This replaces the unprotected Kibana default with a login screen, rather than the error.

I am trying the ELK stack on FreeBSD, because I have grown profoundly weary of the circus environment that is systemd, and the other seemingly gratuitous, poorly documented changes to Ubuntu. I ran FreeBSD exclusively from 2000 - 2011, and six years later everything is precisely where I left it. It makes me sad that it's not supported, the operating discipline is so much higher than any of the Linux distros.

Assuming I utterly despise systemd, what would be the best Linux version to use in order to have support?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.