Downgrade kibana version from v7.9 to v7.8

Platform: Centos 7

How can I downgrade the current kibana (version 7.9) to a lower version (version 7.8) ?
I do not have a backup of the previous version, is it possible to downgrade?
and how can I stop kibana to upgrade automatically

There isn't a supported downgrade path. What problems are you having?

Elasticsearch / Kibana doesn't upgrade automatically. Is it possible something else performed the upgrade?

i don't how but when i started kibana this morning i got tthis message that my kibana is not compatible with my es version .
when i checked out the version of kibana i found that it s upgraded maybe a packege update cuz this

@FATIMA_EZZAHRA_AIT

How are you installing and running Kibana?

If there's a mismatch between Kibana and Elasticsearch, Kibana simply won't run. Your data should be unchanged.

i installed by yum

i removed kibana 7.9 and i installed kibana 7.8 but now kibana won't start i got this
"ā— kibana.service - Kibana
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/kibana.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since mar. 2020-08-25 18:24:03 CEST; 264ms ago
Process: 188422 ExecStart=/usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 188422 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

aoƻt 25 18:24:00 ELK systemd[1]: kibana.service failed.
aoƻt 25 18:24:03 ELK systemd[1]: kibana.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
aoƻt 25 18:24:03 ELK systemd[1]: Stopped Kibana.
aoƻt 25 18:24:03 ELK systemd[1]: start request repeated too quickly for kibana.service
aoƻt 25 18:24:03 ELK systemd[1]: Failed to start Kibana.
aoƻt 25 18:24:03 ELK systemd[1]: Unit kibana.service entered failed state.
aoƻt 25 18:24:03 ELK systemd[1]: kibana.service failed."

Can you post kibana logs?

where to find them I try to get /var/log/kibana but didn't find it

Perhaps it would be easier to download elasticsearch and kibana directly - https://www.elastic.co/downloads/

or try the cloud service - https://cloud.elastic.co/

i m already working on my elk stack it s impossible to redo everything

okey i fixed the problem i updated all the stack and now i have es and kibana in the same version

1 Like

Is there any solution for this? I faced similar problem when I yum-downgraded elasticsearch 7.9.0 to 7.8.1:

[2020-08-25T17:48:11,756][ERROR][o.e.b.ElasticsearchUncaughtExceptionHandler][mk-cen7-ana] uncaught exception in thread [main] 
org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.StartupException: ElasticsearchException[failed to bind service]; nested: IndexFormatTooNewException[Format version is not supported (resource BufferedChecksumIndexInput(SimpleFSIndexInput(path="/var/lib/elasticsearch/nodes/0/_state/segments_3e6"))): 10 (needs to be between 7 and 9)];

You'd need to migrate data / documents between clusters. Why are you avoiding 7.9.0?

I am just using a single-node cluster (in production). How to migrate then the data/documents? Is it difficult? Any documentation? I want always to use the latest ELK version, however I recently discovered a useful kibana plugin to investigate.

This is a better info than I can provide - Is it possible to downgrade a cluster without any data loss?

Thanks Matt. I will take a look.

If you installed via yum and want to exclude it from future updates, just add the following line to the end of the [main] section of your /etc/yum.conf file:

exclude=kibana* elasticsearch*

1 Like

If you installed via yum, probably you enabled the package repository in the elastic.repo file, it must be in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and their names end in .repo, check them for enabled=1 replace the one for a zero and save the file. This way you will have to explicitly enable the repository when you are ready to update and it will prevent future updates with your OS packages, use:

yum --enablerepo=elastic update kibana

to update.

Make sure to do the same for elastic and logstash if you defined individual repositories.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.