Elastic cloud bytes received

Hello,
I'm using Elastic, Cloud version.

Is it possible to view a graph showing the amount of bytes received by the field? For example, the size of the contents of the indexes?
Thanks

Hi @accateo

Not sure exactly what you are asking for you can see the indices sizes and stats with the following...

GET /_cat/indices/*?v
GET /my-index/_stats
GET /_cluster/stats

Sorry, two questions:

• how can I see only the amount of bytes field?
  • this is a query result. How can I transform this query result in a graph/metric in Kibana dashboard?

Thanks

Okay still meeting a little clarification.

Are you trying to figure out how many bytes of storage an individual field takes
a) per document or
B) across all documents in the index / cluster.

The bad news is I don't know if there's a way to do either.

I would a number in panel that show the bytes of storage of every index in my cluster...total number.

Ahh I have a better understanding

The best practice is to enable Monitoring / Loggging in this case Metrics See Here . Then use the Stack Monitoring to understand the space and a lot of other important metrics. I would suggest getting to know this capability.

For a small / simple cluster you can send metrics / logs to the same cluster but for production you should use a separate small cluster. Also you can just start with metrics as logs can take some space...

Note :

Remember to send logs and metrics for production deployments to a dedicated monitoring deployment, so that your production deployments are not impacted by the overhead of indexing and storing monitoring data. A dedicated monitoring deployment also gives you more control over the retention period for monitoring data.

Now in the cluster's KIbana

2 Likes

OK, but how can I get those data and put them in Kibana panel?

Well unfortunately that's going to be a bit harder than perhaps it should be that's why we have a whole stack monitoring app there is a lot of data and it needs to be aggregated, filtered and summed etc to get the consumable values you want.

Is there a specific reason why you can't use the monitoring app? and by the way if you do the monitoring there are automatic alerts that will be generated if the disk fills up etc.

If you set up the monitoring and you still really really want to get some visualizations I can perhaps take a look but they will not be trivial and simple.

1 Like

Unfortunately this answer is what I feared.
I need, for a customer, to show that data on a dashboard in Kibana.
I'm noticing that the Cloud version has several limitations.
You've done a great job with all the apps you've created but the dashboard part is still limited.
Yesterday I was trying to change the color of a text string, and I couldn't even choose the RGB.
Is the hosted version more customizable? I need to have more freedom in managing dashboards.
Another example: I would like to insert an image which, based on the status of an index field, is of one color rather than another. Seen like this, it seems impossible to me, right?
Thank you

Hi @accateo

Hope this helps....

First, The storage etc can be done.... all the data is there you will need to use TSVB with a bit of some non beginner knowledge. If I have time I will put one together for you. Example Storage Used = Total Storage - Available etc.

Different color metrics, gauges etc are avail with TSVB and Lens and which can be driven by value of the data. Markdown Elements are also supported to style your da

2nd Canvas : URL Here : Canvas let's you create pixels perfect info - graphics driven by the data. It takes some work but we have some sample etc. if you load the sample data. There is some free online training videos is you do a quick search

The different color image is possible with canvas.There are some sample canvases with the sample data. Setting text color is possible as well. Every element can be styled with CSS.

Take a look here for some examples to see the types of visualization you could create. These are sophisticated but will give you a sense of what you can do. We have seen even more interesting...

Then there is Vega and Here which allows you to programmatically create a nearly endless set of custom visualizations.

Or we also integrate with tools such a grafana as a data source and Tableau via the JDBC connectors.

And finally of course everything is REST API driven (there is also a read-only SQL interface so if needed you could build your own custom front end.

If you have very specific needs perhaps some training or professional services would be of help.

1 Like

Hi Stephen,
thank you for your post and your clarity.

The part about bytes, storage...is it possible to have it in canvas? If so, it would help me a lot.

I'm interested in the REST API part. Where can I make them?

Thanks

Yes you should be able to do the storage with canvas. (Maybe I will take a look ... No promises)

Elasticsearch is fully driven by APIs here The APIs are quite extensive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.