Elasticsearch snapshot for starting Kibana as a developer

To create a custom plugin, I
1. I cloned the kibana git hub repo
2. yarn kbn bootstrap ----> was succesfull

The next step as per the documentation, (Getting started | Kibana Guide [master] | Elastic)

1. yarn es snapshot ---- > error
[2022-08-15T09:42:45,344][ERROR][o.e.b.Elasticsearch      ] [localhost.localdomain] fatal exception while booting Elasticsearch
java.lang.RuntimeException: can not run elasticsearch as root
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.initializeNatives(Elasticsearch.java:260) ~[elasticsearch-8.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.initPhase2(Elasticsearch.java:166) ~[elasticsearch-8.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:?]
	at org.elasticsearch.bootstrap.Elasticsearch.main(Elasticsearch.java:66) ~[elasticsearch-8.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:?]

You will need to make sure you are not root.

1 Like

I had downloaded the source code and done yarn kbn bootstrap as a root user.

So should I create another user for the machine and then start afresh from downloading the source code? If yes, is it good to do the same in /home/user-name directory ... or create another directory in /.

I created a different user for my linux machine and in ./created a folder and git cloned the Kibana repo into it... and then did all the steps afresh from there.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.