Enabling security in Kibana without X-pack

I am new to Elasticsearch and Kibana. I am using version 6.8.0 for both Kibana and Elasticsearch. I have a multi-node cluster and I want to add security to Kibana. So after reading the documentation, I got to know that if I use x-pack then I will need to perform a full cluster restart. So is there any way to add a login page to Kibana only without using x-pack?
Will writing a custom login plugin for Kibana will work?

Hello Ashwin,

I would think writing a custom plugin to handle security would be hypothetically possible but impractical. The x-pack security plugin's usage isn't isolated to just the plugin itself, it's used throughout kibana.

I don't entirely know your situation, but if your issue is cluster downtime, maybe consider something along the lines of:

• Stand up a duplicate cluster with security enabled
  • Confirm it's operating as expected
  • Redirect traffic to the new security-enabled cluster
  • Shut down old cluster

This is really just a general suggestion without full knowing your situation. Mostly I would just suggest not writing your own security plugin and exploring alternatives using the existing plugin.

Regards,
Aaron

1 Like

Hello Aaron.

Thanks for the help.
I am considering to go with the downtime as the cluster duplication will require more hardware.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.