Es.default.config is no longer supported. when upgrading from 1.6 to 2.4.4, ubuntu 14.04

Hi,
I was trying to upgrade my elasticsearch version 1.6 to 2.4.4 on my Ubuntu 14.04. What i did is i downloaded elasticsearch-2.4.4.deb from your site and installed it.
At the time of installation it asked me to change /etc/elasticsearch/elasticsearch.yml and /etc/init.d/elasticsearch and i said N.

After installation when i try to start elasticsearch, in log it says:
[2017-02-09 12:46:17,129][INFO ][bootstrap ] es.default.config is no longer supported. elasticsearch.yml must be placed in the config directory and cannot be renamed.

And elasticseach didn't get started.
Any help please.

have a try:
$ES_HOME/bin/elasticsearch -Des.path.conf=/etc/elasticsearch/

Hey wenpos, It worked, but it has issues:

1. I used .deb package so that Elasticsearch can work as a service. And by this it will run on console.
  2. i need to change the permissions of folders as don't run elasticsearch as root
  3. Logs are printed on console, not in /var/log/elasticsearch/. I need to put one more parameter for log file location may be. Well i need to pass every location like data, pid directories.

Thanks for this but i don't think this is a solution to use on production.

Any suggestion, Please. Or is this eligible for an issue?

You should have overwritten those files during the upgrade as there are major changes between 1.X and 2.X with them.

Hi Mark,
Yes i think so, i needed to take a backup of old config files and then try to upgrade it. But the thing is that i haven't found any clue for this in any up-gradation doc.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.