Upgrading elasticsearch from 1.7.3 to 2.1.1

Hello,

I'm in the process of upgrading elasticsearch 1.7.3 to 2.1.1 and have discovered that the default location for the elasticsearch.yml file (config file) has been changed from /etc/elasticsearch to /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin. I'm running elasticsearch 2.1.1 on Ubuntu 12.

I have tried passing this new location of the elasticsearch.yml as a variable within the /etc/init.d/elasticsearch file so that when the elasticsearch service starts up, it looks for the elasticsearch.yml file in /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin. However it doesn't, it continues to reference the old location (/etc/elasticsearch) for the elasticsearch.yml .

How do I ensure that the new location (/usr/share/elasticsearch/bin) is used by elasticsearch?

Thanks

Nope, it hasn't, it's still /etc/elasticsearch.

I also asked this question and this config issue has also now affected my ability to install plugins i.e.

I get a CONF_FILE error when I now attempt to install any plugin in ES 2.1.1.

I'm upgrading from 1.7.3 (where all my plugins worked fine) to 2.1.1 where they now don't.

Can you help?

Thanks

What OS are you on, how did you install and how did you upgrade?

Hi,

I'm on ubuntu 12.04 and upgrading ES from 1.7.3 to 2.1.1.

When I attempt to install a cloud-aws plugin, I receive the following error:

/usr/share/elasticsearch# bin/plugin install cloud-aws
CONF_FILE setting is no longer supported. elasticsearch.yml must be placed in the config directory and cannot be renamed.

I've placed the elasticsearch.yml in /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin for version 2.1.1.

I've also confirmed that I'm running the latest version of the /etc/init.d/elasticsearch file with the following lines.

CONF_FILE setting was removed

if [ ! -z "$CONF_FILE" ]; then
echo "CONF_FILE setting is no longer supported. elasticsearch.yml must be placed in the config directory and cannot be renamed."
exit 1
fi

I'm a bit confused because there is some documentation that says that the elasticsearch.yml should be placed in $ES_HOME/bin for ES 2.1.1?

Thanks

Thanks

Can you link to it?

Can you also provide the complete startup command and the corresponding output.