Gauges don't display a number for last 5 min, but do display for last 1hr, even though there is data

Here's an issue that I'm having a hard time figuring out how to search on. So far I haven't found anyone else describing something similar. Any tips would be appreciated.

So, I've configured a gauge based on the memory usage gauge that comes from metricbeat. I've just limited it to only display for a specific agent.hostname. In the panel filter text box I set something like: agent.hostname: "hostname"

Everything else is the same as when I

But when I view data from the last 5 minutes, the gauge doesn't show anything. It looks like:
last5

If I switch to the last hour:

last hour

I've confirmed via Discover that there is data in the system.memory.actual.used.pct field for the past 5 minutes.

I see the same behavior on other gauges when I filter down to the last 5 minutes on the [Metricbeat System] Host overview ECS dashboard.

Switch to 1hr:

Any ideas?

This is a pretty common problem, so much so that I put it first in the TSVB faq: TSVB | Kibana Guide [7.12] | Elastic

You probably need to switch to "Entire timerange" mode instead of last value. In the next release of 7.13 we are making this mode the default and warning you if you don't use it, but for all current versions I recommend using Entire timerange mode.

1 Like

Thanks. I've spent most of my time getting my dev cluster running, and not enough on visualization to have even thought of looking up TSVB.... :\

Will that change be applied to the metricbeat visualizations when I upgrade metricbeat to 7.13?

No, we're not going to automatically change existing TSVB visualizations. Newly created ones will have this by default.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.