Get single figure shows in Timelion using simple visualization

I have created a visualization to obtain average TPS for my application using Timelion.

Here you can see some straight lines that indicates average TPS for given time period.

Timelion expression is as follows:

.es(index=t*, timefield='@timestamp').aggregate(avg).scale_interval(1s).label('Average Total TPS').color('blue')

What I want is getting same figure using a simple visualization like metric. No need to use a straight line as above.
Any ideas?

Hi @isharamadhawa. I created something similar using Metricbeat in the screenshot below. I hope this helps.

I tried this even before posting this question. I can't generate this as I receive shard failure error. Result shows is incorrect as well. Also time interval should be second as well. But I can generate data in Timelion without any issue. Is there any visualization that I can use timelion expression or something similar to get that data as a single figure?

Hi @isharamadhawa. What is your date range set to? Scaling a large date range over the seconds interval is probably causing the shard failure.

If you absolutely must have seconds as an interval over a large date range, you may need to scale up your Elasticsearch cluster. This might mean adding more nodes or increasing system resources.

The Designing for Scale chapter in the Elasticsearch Definitive Guide may be useful.

Hi @nickpeihl,
I selected a large data range. This works fine in Timelion visualization. Why can't we get it worked in a simple visualization?
I think this is a very fundamental visualization. We have to divide total count from total number of seconds of the selected date range.

Is there any workaround that I can apply Timelion expression to another visualization. Or any other way that I can achieve this?
Thank you

Hi @isharamadhawa

I selected a large data range. This works fine in Timelion visualization. Why can't we get it worked in a simple visualization?
I think this is a very fundamental visualization. We have to divide total count from total number of seconds of the selected date range.

Sorry, I previously misunderstood the issue. I believe you can replicate this by enabling the "Scale Metric Values" option in the Advanced options. This setting appears to be deprecated in the current release, but it should work until Kibana v8.0 is released.

Is there any workaround that I can apply Timelion expression to another visualization. Or any other way that I can achieve this?

Unfortunately, no. Timelion expressions are unique to timelion only.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.