How can the measured values of time series in one visualization be connected via a line per each time series?

Hello,
I'm new to the Kibana environment and I did not manage to build the following visualization:

From several temperature sensors, the measured values ​​are retrieved from a server and written to the Elasticsearch.

• Each document contains the unique sensor name, the time of measurement and the measured value. For each sensor there is only one document at a time of measurement.
  • All documents are written to one index (iot_sensor_data).
  • Addionally, there is an index per sensor into which only the documents of the associated sensor are written.

In Kibana I would like to have a visualization in which all temperature time series (x-axis: measuring time, y-axis: measured value) are included and the measured values ​​are connected via a line.

• With the visualization 'Line' I get only the time series of a sensor as desired.
  • In the 'Visual Builder' visualization, the measured values ​​of the individual time series are not connected by a line.

Thanks for any help!

Hi @bkruenelke - welcome!

To clarify, are you saying you are able to get the desired results in a Line visualization, but not in Visual Builder? Based on your description, I believe you should be able to accomplish what you are looking for as follows:

In Visualize > Line:

1. Y-Axis metric: Sum aggregation on the temperature value field
  2. X-Axis bucket: date histogram on your recorded timestamp
  3. Split Series bucket: Terms aggregation on the unique sensor name

In Visualize > Visual Builder:

1. In the metrics section of the data tab: Sum aggregation on the temperature value field
  2. Group by terms, by field name for the unique sensor name
  3. In the panel options tab: make sure you have selected your index pattern & time field

Which version of Kibana are you using?

Hi Luke,

yes, I got the desired result in a Line visualization, but only for one time series. With your advice (Split Series bucket), now I get all time series. Thank you!!!

image005.jpg

But the advice according Visual Builder, did not work. I can’t take Sum aggregation. I’ll have to take Average aggregation. Then I get only points instead of lines:

image006.jpg

· Data:

o Metrics

§ Aggregation: Average

§ Field: temperature value field

§ Group by: Terms

§ By: unique sensor name

§ Top: 25

§ Order by: Terms

§ Direction: Ascending

o Options:

§ Data Formatter: Number

§ Template: {{value}} °C

§ Filter: none

§ Chart type: Line

§ Stacked: None

§ Fill (0 to 1): 0

§ Line width: 1

§ Point size: 4

§ Steps: No

· Panel options

o Data

§ Index pattern: my index

§ Time field: recorded timestamp

§ Interval: auto

Do you have an idea?

Best regards,

Bernd Krünelke

Hm, yeah with these settings above I'm not sure what would be going on. You should be getting a chart with lines connecting the points, but no fill.

What version of the Elastic Stack are you running? I'm not able to reproduce this on the version I'm testing currently 7.1.1... everything renders as expected. Here's what I'm seeing using some of the kibana_sample_data_logs demo data that ships with Kibana.

Hi Luke,

I’m running 7.1.1.

What happens, if you change the aggregation from Sum to Average, Min or Max? Sum is not suitable in this case.

Best Regards

Bernd

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.