How do I index an _id with + symbol?

Making the switch from ES2 to ES6 and having a serious problem. Whenever I index a record with an id that contains a + symbol, Elasticsearch replaces the + with a space. The “id” field is correct, but the “_id” field contains a space.

Later, when I search for data and retrieve the key, I have a mismatch in my document store (dynamo) because the + have been replaced. In other words, by modifying the primary key used across databases, it makes it difficult to link the records.

Is it possible to escape the + so that _id is stored with the value I want? I’ve tried \ + or %2B for the +, and other variations but it does not work. I also tried changing the mapping on the index but nothing seems to work and I got an error trying to change _id field to a keyword.

Any tips for this? It seems like such a simple thing to store a symbol as part of the string, but ES6 is making it painful.

Not sure if it matters, but I’m using the Java Rest 6 client for all operations. Below is simple sample code to reproduce this:

RestHighLevelClient client = new RestHighLevelClient(...);
IndexRequest request = new IndexRequest("test", "test", "+1234");
request.source("{}", XContentType.JSON);
client.index(request,RequestOptions.DEFAULT);

And the data in ES:

GET test/_search
{
  "took": 4,
  "timed_out": false,
  "_shards": {
    "total": 5,
    "successful": 5,
    "skipped": 0,
    "failed": 0
  },
  "hits": {
    "total": 1,
    "max_score": 1,
    "hits": [
      {
	"_index": "test",
	"_type": "test",
	"_id": " 1234",
	"_score": 1,
	"_source": {}
      }
    ]
  }
}

Note the space and lack of + in the "_id" field.

Which version of Elasticsearch 6 are you using specifially, I'll try to see if this still happens in the latest 6.4 version.

Hah, the "+" sign seems to be a special snowflake for a while: https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/5341

I tried the %2b encoding in the Kibana Console and it works as a workaround at least there:

PUT /test/_doc/%2b1234
{
  "foo" : "bar"
}

GET /test/_search

GET /test/_search
{
  "query": {
    "ids": {
      "values": ["+1234"]
    }
  }
}

Still need to try this with the Java HL Rest client though.

There already seems to be an open issue for this in relation with the HL Rest client. Doesn't seem to be merged yet though unfortunately:

I'm running ES 6.3.2 and I tried using the DevTools console to reproduce your work. Unfortunately, I don't get the results you posted with using %2b instead of +. Instead, it shows the _id having a space. Is this something they fixed after 6.3.2?

I installed a 6.4.2 version and can confirm the following:

1. There is a server-side issue in 6.3.2 that automatically sets + to a space using Dev Tools. This is fixed in 6.4.2.

2. In 6.4.2, you still can't actually pass a + even using Dev Tools. You still have to pass %2b instead of +.

3. Using 6.4.2, there is a bug in the High-Level Rest Client that does not +'s to be used, whether they be passed as %2b or + that has not been merged into the repo.

In other words, to fix this using a low-level client, you need to be running at least 6.4.2. To fix this with the high-level client, have to wait for at least 6.5.0 or future when the issue is closed.

Sigh... I hate work-arounds but I guess I'll to do something stupid until this is fixed in the appropriate places.

1 Like

Sorry for the inconvenience and for hanging in there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.