How to change Y-axis metric from default ( count ) to timestamp?

Hi,
I need to monitor the uptime of some hosts. I am using heartbeat ( ping ) for this purpose. I am trying to visualize the results using bar chart. I would like to know is, is there a way to change the Y-axis from showing the defaults ( count ) to timestamp?

hi @chidori,

to change the Y-axis, change the configuration for "Metrics" (the top section in the Data-tab). You could configure other metrics for the Y-axis, like sums, averages, mins and maxes, ... there

Hi @thomasneirynck,
yes but that does not have anything related to timestamp like the way I am interested in. All I want is simple time range. something like as shown in screenshot below but in Y-axis
Capture

ah ok, you can flip the orientation of the chart (so make the Y-axis show time) by selecting the position for an axis in the "Metrics and Axes" tab.

That will rotate your chart to show time on the left.

@thomasneirynck sorry but what i want is a chart which shows the UP and DOWN status of servers during a given time range. The "Count" is not something I would need. It should be a chart where one axis would talk about the time range ( can be hour/day/week/month ) while the other axis would have the details of the servers and probably i can add a sub-bucket that would talk about their UP and DOWN time.

hi @chidori,

Not 100% if I understand. How to do this will depend very much on how you structured your documents.

maybe the top_hit aggregation could be useful to you (https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-aggregations-metrics-top-hits-aggregation.html). You can use it to show the last status of a given server within a given time-range. E.g. up/down status over time, for each minute.

Hi @thomasneirynck,
Thanks for the inputs on this query so far. Please refer to my intial post which has the screen shot. My only issue with that bar chart is I want change the Y-axis ( Count ) to timestamp ( may be day/minute/hours). I am thinking by bringing in timestamp in Y-axis I would be able to easily narrow down the time range at which my server(s) were down.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.