How to increase Kibana Memory?

Hello,

How can i Increase the memory that Kibana uses?

I tried following this part of the documentation, but it does not work, there is no change in the memory used in the monitoring.

I want to use 4096 MB for Kibana, currently it is using 2048 MB ( 2GB )

What I've tried and didn't work:

• Setting --max-old-space-size=4096 in /etc/kibana/node.options
  • Setting --max-old-space-size=4096 in /etc/kibana/config/node.options
  • Setting NODE_OPTIONS="--max-old-space-size=4096" in /etc/sysconfig/kibana
  • Setting NODE_OPTIONS="--max-old-space-size=4096" in /etc/default/kibana

I even edited the /usr/share/kibana/bin/kibana start script and added the --max-old-space-size=4096 in the NODE_OPTIONS variable, but also no change, the monitoring still shows the Kibana max heap as 2 GB.

How can I tell Kibana to use 4 GB of memory instead of 2 GB? The Machine has plenty free memory, currently it has 16 GB and only runs Kibana.

I'm on 7.16.3.

@tiagocosta can we please get some help? Thanks,

Hello @bhavyarm,

Just an update, I had a call yesterday with the support about this issue, we couldn't find the cause nor the solution, Kibana ignores the configuration and doesn't change the memory.

On the call we agreed that I will try to do a fresh install of Kibana to see if this is related to something left from the upgrades, but I will need to wait for a maintenance window on my side.

I will update this after that, maybe it will help someone.

@leandrojmp could you just try to change the node.options file in the config folder? kibana/node.options at 7.16 · elastic/kibana · GitHub

Cheers

Hello @tiagocosta,

This was already tried, all the options to change the node.options file and NODE_OPTIONS variable were already tried and none worked.

We tried with node.options in /etc/kibana and in the fallback location /usr/share/kibana/config, none worked.

Also tried to set NODE_OPTIONS in /etc/default/kibana and /etc/sysconfig/kibana, and also directly on the startup script as well, with no success.

If you want to check the support case, the number is # 00900799, but all the documented options were already tried.

The only thing that we didn't tried yet was a full reinstall of Kibana, as this install was upgraded from 7.9 to 7.12 and to 7.16, it is planned but I need to wait for a maintenance window.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.