How to run cross cluster search across local and remote indices

I am trying to setup my environment so that I can switch from using tribe nodes to use cross cluster search and running in to a few problems

After some useful feedback in this forum I have configured my system with kibana pointing to a coordinating node in cluster_1 with cross cluster search configured so I can also search indices in cluster_2 and cluster_3.

I can configure index patterns in Kibana to search for logs as follows:-

logstash-* returns all local logs in cluster_1 successfully
cluster_2:logstash-* returns all logs in remote cluster_2 successfully
cluster_3:logstash-* returns all logs in remote cluster_3 successfully
*:logstash-* returns all logs in remote cluster_2 and cluster_3 successfully

Question1. Is there a way to set up an index pattern to query all logs in all 3 clusters i.e. local and remote clusters ?

Question 2. Is there a way to search specific remote clusters ? I have tried the documented syntax of cluster_2,cluster_3:logstash-* and in Kibana 5.6.2 it does not work

Is there a way to set up an index pattern to query all logs in all 3 clusters i.e. local and remote clusters

There's 2 options, that may (or may not) suit you.

1. logstash-*,*:logstash-* should do what you want. That will search locally and on all remote clusters.
  2. You can set up a cross-cluster prefix that points to the local cluster. So you can define cluster_1 with a seed of localhost:9300 then *:logstash-* would search all 3 clusters. It would use the cross-cluster-search mechanism, but cross cluster search is fairly low overhead so that shouldn't cause a problem.

I have tried the documented syntax of cluster_2,cluster_3:logstash-* and in Kibana 5.6.2 it does not work

Which document has that?
As far as Elasticsearch is concerned, that pattern is

• the index named "cluster_2" in the local cluster
  • the indices named "logstash-*" in the "cluster_3" cluster

It's possible that Kibana has some feature that handles it differently, but once it gets to Elasticsearch we split the names by comma and then treat each part independently.

1 Like

Regarding the incorrect Kibana documentation

It's in https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/management-cross-cluster-search.html

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out, I've raised https://github.com/elastic/kibana/pull/16751 to update it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.