Importing visualizations from different machine

Hi, I use kibana and elastic (6) like so:
I have remote centos 7 machine that hosts kibana and elastic, and I access kibana via my broser on another machine.
The thing is I Imported some searches, visualizations and a dashborad I created in a seperate instance of elk, and I saved the json files in the centos machine, and I can't access them because "impot" in kibana only searches for files on the machine that the browser is running on.
How can I import the files that are on the same machine as elastic/kibana?
Is there a simple way to just take the json files and send them to kibana index in elastic via curl?
This is how a imported search looks like in the json file:

[
  {
    "_id": "SOME_ID",
    "_type": "search",
    "_source": {
      "title": "Full Results Search",
      "description": "",
      "hits": 0,
      "columns": [
        "_source"
      ],
      "sort": [
        "_score",
        "desc"
      ],
      "version": 1,
      "kibanaSavedObjectMeta": {
        "searchSourceJSON": "{\"index\":\"SOME_INDEX\",\"highlightAll\":true,\"version\":true,\"query\":{\"language\":\"lucene\",\"query\":\"\"},\"filter\":[]}"
      }
    }
  }
]

and a visualization:

[
  {
    "_type": "visualization",
      "title": "Results Table",
      "visState": "{\"title\":\"Results Table\",\"type\":\"table\",\"params\":{\"perPage\":100,\"showMeticsAtAllLevels\":false,\"showPartialRows\":false,\"showTotal\":false,\"sort\":{\"columnIndex\":2,\"direction\":\"asc\"},\"totalFunc\":\"sum\"},\"aggs\":[{\"id\":\"1\",\"enabled\":true,\"type\":\"count\",\"schema\":\"metric\",\"params\":{}},{\"id\":\"6\",\"enabled\":true,\"type\":\"terms\",\"schema\":\"bucket\",\"params\":{\"field\":\"STATUS_newValue.raw\",\"otherBucket\":false,\"otherBucketLabel\":\"Other\",\"missingBucket\":false,\"missingBucketLabel\":\"Missing\",\"size\":5,\"order\":\"desc\",\"orderBy\":\"1\",\"customLabel\":\"Current Status\"}},{\"id\":\"7\",\"enabled\":true,\"type\":\"terms\",\"schema\":\"bucket\",\"params\":{\"field\":\"DESCRIPTION_newValue.raw\",\"otherBucket\":false,\"otherBucketLabel\":\"Other\",\"missingBucket\":false,\"missingBucketLabel\":\"Missing\",\"size\":5,\"order\":\"desc\",\"orderBy\":\"1\",\"customLabel\":\"Description\"}},{\"id\":\"8\",\"enabled\":true,\"type\":\"terms\",\"schema\":\"bucket\",\"params\":{\"field\":\"ENDDATE_newValue.raw\",\"otherBucket\":false,\"otherBucketLabel\":\"Other\",\"missingBucket\":false,\"missingBucketLabel\":\"Missing\",\"size\":5,\"order\":\"desc\",\"orderBy\":\"1\",\"customLabel\":\"End Date\"}}]}",
      "uiStateJSON": "{\"spy\":null,\"vis\":{\"params\":{\"sort\":{\"columnIndex\":2,\"direction\":\"asc\"}}}}",
        "searchSourceJSON": "{\"index\":\"SOME_INDEX\",\"filter\":[],\"query\":{\"language\":\"lucene\",\"query\":\"\"}}"
      }
    }
  }
]

If there is a way to import those to kibana via curl, is everything in the imported json relevent?

Thanks!

Hey,

please look at the following question for details on the saved object import API: How to import index-pattern in kibana 6 using API?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi, thanks for the answer.
I tried:
curl -XPOST localhost:5601/api/kibana/dashboards/import -H 'kbn-xsrf:true' -H 'Content-type:application/json' -d @./try_dash.json

First, I changed the fact that by defualt dashboards are exported in an array, and the api recieves only json.
Second, If I keep the _id, _type and _source fields (that are also generated when one export his dashboard/visualizaition) in the file I get "id"/"type"/"source" is not allowed, and that I need to change the version to a string.
Third, Even if I remove the aforementioned fields and change the version, I still get:

{"statusCode":400,"error":"Bad Request","message":"\"title\" is not allowed. \"hits\" is not allowed. \"description\" is not allowed. \"panelsJSON\" is not allowed. \"optionsJSON\" is not allowed. \"timeRestore\" is not allowed. \"kibanaSavedObjectMeta\" is not allowed","validation":{"source":"payload","keys":["title","hits","description","panelsJSON","optionsJSON","timeRestore","kibanaSavedObjectMeta"]}}

What am I doing wrong?
Plus, I saw only api to kibana dashboards. Is there an address for api to kibana that will import searches and visualizations?

ADD:
I tried using the saved_object api like so:
curl -XPOST localhost:5601/api/saved_objects/dashboards -H 'kbn-xsrf:true' -H 'Content-type:application/json' -d @./try_dash.json
and I get this error:
{"message":"mapping set to strict, dynamic introduction of [dashboards] within [doc] is not allowed: [strict_dynamic_mapping_exception] mapping set to strict, dynamic introduction of [dashboards] within [doc] is not allowed","statusCode":400,"error":"Bad Request"}

I don't understand: what dynamic mapping? I'm just trying to put my dashboard/saved search/visualization into exsiting kibana index, what mapping has to do with anything?

OK, I'm half way there.
First I was able to change the exported objects so they could be imported via cli on there machines, and I will detail how, for anyone else how encounter the same issue:

Kibana 6 objects are exported like so (visualization,searchs and dashboards have there differences, but for the changes that need to be made they are the same):

[
  {
    "_type": "visualization",
      "title": "Results Table",
      "visState": "{\"title\":\"Results Table\",\"type\":\"table\",\"params\":{\"perPage\":100,\"showMeticsAtAllLevels\":false,\"showPartialRows\":false,\"showTotal\":false,\"sort\":{\"columnIndex\":2,\"direction\":\"asc\"},\"totalFunc\":\"sum\"},\"aggs\":[{\"id\":\"1\",\"enabled\":true,\"type\":\"count\",\"schema\":\"metric\",\"params\":{}},{\"id\":\"6\",\"enabled\":true,\"type\":\"terms\",\"schema\":\"bucket\",\"params\":{\"field\":\"STATUS_newValue.raw\",\"otherBucket\":false,\"otherBucketLabel\":\"Other\",\"missingBucket\":false,\"missingBucketLabel\":\"Missing\",\"size\":5,\"order\":\"desc\",\"orderBy\":\"1\",\"customLabel\":\"Current Status\"}},{\"id\":\"7\",\"enabled\":true,\"type\":\"terms\",\"schema\":\"bucket\",\"params\":{\"field\":\"DESCRIPTION_newValue.raw\",\"otherBucket\":false,\"otherBucketLabel\":\"Other\",\"missingBucket\":false,\"missingBucketLabel\":\"Missing\",\"size\":5,\"order\":\"desc\",\"orderBy\":\"1\",\"customLabel\":\"Description\"}},{\"id\":\"8\",\"enabled\":true,\"type\":\"terms\",\"schema\":\"bucket\",\"params\":{\"field\":\"ENDDATE_newValue.raw\",\"otherBucket\":false,\"otherBucketLabel\":\"Other\",\"missingBucket\":false,\"missingBucketLabel\":\"Missing\",\"size\":5,\"order\":\"desc\",\"orderBy\":\"1\",\"customLabel\":\"End Date\"}}]}",
      "uiStateJSON": "{\"spy\":null,\"vis\":{\"params\":{\"sort\":{\"columnIndex\":2,\"direction\":\"asc\"}}}}",
        "searchSourceJSON": "{\"index\":\"SOME_ID\",\"filter\":[],\"query\":{\"language\":\"lucene\",\"query\":\"\"}}"
      }
    }
  }
]

The things to change:

1. Erase the array that stores the object. The saved_object revieces only json objects.
  2. searchSourceJSON field has a string value: "{...}" .In order for the api to understand that this is a string and not malformed object you need to do something simple - add space between the first and last double quotes in the value. so: searchSourceJSON: " { .... } " and not searchSourceJSON: "{...}".

That way there will be no errors when you send the objects with this curl:

curl -XPOST localhost:5601/api/saved_objects/search -H 'kbn-xsrf:true' -H 'Content-type:application/json' -d @./full_results_search.json

Hope this helps to anyone.

What I still need help with?
When I import the objects, they don't have the host index id that they need to work.
When I import in kibana, there is a prompt that asks me if I want to change the ID to one on the kibana indexs like this:

What is the cli equivalent for this process?
Currently What I can think of is the annoying way of getting the index id from the command:
GET /.kibana/_search?q=type:index-pattern
seraching for the right index, extracting the id, and replacing the id in the objects, and then sending them via the cli.
Is there a more elegant way to do this?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.