Index settings or templates changed back overnight

Hi All,

I've tried to change the index settings (templates too) for the below special (+X-Pack) indexes from 1 primary 0 replica to 1 primary 2 replicas but overnight the settings have been changed back.

Let's say for .kibana, I would like to have at least one replica in case it gets corrupted or the node with it gets down in a cluster. In this case all users cannot use Kibana as .kibana index is unreachable.

.kibana
.logstash
.ml-notifications
.ml-state
.monitoring-es-6-
.monitoring-logstash-6-*
.security-6
.triggered_watches
.watcher-history-7-*
.watches

I know that these are special indexes.

Could someone explain if it's possible to make persistent changes to them and how?
By changes I mean modifying number or shards & replicas.

Regards,
Constantin

Utilising the support contract in place we come to:

If you look at:
GET .kibana/_settings
GET .security/_settings
GET .monitoring-es-6-*/_settings

You will see dynamic index settings are in place: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.2/index-modules.html#dynamic-index-settings
index.auto_expand_replicas:
Auto-expand the number of replicas based on the number of available nodes. Set to a dash delimited lower and upper bound (e.g. 0-5) or use all for the upper bound (e.g. 0-all). Defaults to false(i.e. disabled).

Essentially, depending on how many nodes you have in your cluster, these system indices will expand replicas as per the needs of redundancy.

Thanks Jymit.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.