Improving resiliency or changing settings of system indices

Hi,

I'm trying to improve the resiliency of my elastic stack. I want to make it tolerant to any two node failures, but I can't update system indices to have more than one replica.

The setting in question is index.auto_expand_replicas - I'd like to make this for example 0-2 instead of 0-1, but when I try I get:

PUT /.kibana_7.17.2_001/_settings
{"index.auto_expand_replicas":"0-2"}

{
  "type":"security_exception",
  "reason":"action [indices:admin/settings/update] is unauthorized for user [<user>] with effective roles [kibana_admin,kibana_monitoring,modify_system_indices,monitoring_user,superuser] on restricted indices [.kibana_7.17.2_001], this action is granted by the index privileges [manage,all]"
}

As you can see, I've created a role to grant all to .* in an attempt to explicitly allow it, but still no dice.

Is there any way I can modify these settings?

There are some other settings I'd like to be able to change too, so I can control the addition of new data nodes to my cluster - right now I can't control when system indices get allocated to a new node, so I have to just hope everything goes well rather than cut indices across slowly.

Any tips on how I can change settings on system indices much appreciated.

Seems no-one else has any ideas either. Does that mean that, fundamentally, Elasticsearch just doesn't support any better than N+1 resiliency?

AFAIK we don't support changing things for system indices as they will be overwritten the next time you upgrade.

That's probably not what you want to hear sorry, I would suggest raising a feature request on GitHub to see what can be done.

Not ideal, but nice to get confirmation I'm not missing something.

Sure thing, I'll raise an FR. Thanks for responding.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.