Interact with an external application to refine a filter

Hi all,
I am a newbie of ELK stack and I am trying to figure out if the ELK stack met my functional requirement. Suppose that I have up and running my ELK stack and I have a visualization showing me a bar graph with the average price of car manufacturers.
What i would like to do is to narrow the visualization to just one car manufacturer. And the value of such car manufacturer it comes from another application. Something like: "i click on a table of my application and via API I want to contextualize my graphs with the selection".

Do you think it's possible?

HI,
Welcome to community. For narrowing down on any visualization, you could use the filters aggregation. It allows you to specify a list of filters and the documents matching each of the filters becomes a separate series in the visualization. if you add the filters when you are creating your visualization in the Visualize app, they will be saved along with the visualization and will always be applied. If you use this visualization on a dashboard, then it will use the filters of the visualization together with the filters of the dashboard. This is just the case for filters - the time range is not saved along with the visualization. or you could try just applying a global filter : Filtering the data | Kibana Guide [6.8] | Elastic

Thanks
Rashmi

Really thank Rashmi, really helpful.
The main issue here is: is the filter aggregation feature available via API so I can narrow my results in a programmatic way (like when clicking on third party application)?

Thanks again,
Emiliano

Hi Emiliano

Yes , there is an API for this which you can include it in a script to call it programatically. Please check out this API : https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-aggregations-bucket-filter-aggregation.html

Thanks
Rashmi

Thanks again Rashmi. If I can, i broader my question. As you said, there is an API to filter out the results. Now, suppose this scenario. If i have multiple users that might be apply different filters, should I need two instances of kibana so that each end user can filter the dashboard without interfere each others?

Really really thanks,
Emiliano

@timroes can you help here when you get a chance ?

Thanks
Rashmi

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.