Is it possible to link from bar graph in kibana directly into actual record

(zoplex) #1

If one has bar graph, and you mouse over you can see how many records are in that bar, and few fields that reflect what the graph is based on; Let say it shows 5 record count on that mouse over; Is it possible to (somehow) click or link that bar so that those 5 records are shown - similar to Discover mode scrolling list so actual data fields could be shown?

Thanks

(Lee Drengenberg) #2

hi zoplex,

I don't think there's a way in a single step. But try this;

1. Click the bar you're interested in. That should create a filter right under the search bar.
  2. Mouse-over that filter and click the pin to "pin" the filter.
  3. Click on Discover tab. Now that filter is applied and you should only see the 5 docs you were interested in from your bar chart.

Regards,
Lee

(zoplex) #3

Thank you Lee - yes that was also something I was looking at - in essence that is the fairly good approach - I think end user is looking for more 'direct' connection - almost a mouse over type - but I agree this is quite close to that.

Thank you

(zoplex) #4

.. the problem is that filters and functions used to create the graph in the first place do not carry over into the Pin-ed filter; For example, I created the bar graph that lists maximum slow query time from MySQL server slow query log files, and split it by host in split graph mode. I see the spike in the slow query time - the max record spiked to say 55 seconds on one host; I click on the bar (since I need to see exact query text), get the filter on the top - but it will only have host name and the time stamp range for that bar - but the max function that is built into the graph is gone - so now if I go to Discover - the pinned filter gets me all the records from that server, without focusing only on that one that I clicked on - since the "max slow_query_time" is gone from the filter Pinned filter - seems that clicking on the bar simply does not add all the filters that are used to build the graph.

or I am missing a step?

(Lee Drengenberg) #5

Yes, I guess that's correct. You pinned the filter but you were looking at a specific "max" aggregation and it wouldn't make sense for the filter to include that while on the visualization.

If you can come up with a clear enhancement for this it would be great if you would create an issue on https://github.com/elastic/kibana. Maybe a right-click menu on the bar of the chart to "open docs"?

On a Date Histogram chart that I'm looking at, when I click on a bar it resets the time picker to that more granular range. Eventually I get to the point where each bar represents a count of just 1. Then I can hide the chart with the ^ arrow and see a data table. But that doesn't give me the links to the actual docs (maybe it could).

Lee

(zoplex) #6

Yes the right click would be great - will do that. Thanks!

(system) #7