Kibana APM application doesn't show any data

Hello,

After updating from 6.3.2 to 6.4.0 it seems that the Kibana APM app doesn't show any services. The message is "Looks like you don't have any services with APM installed. Let's add some!"

There is definitely data coming to the apm-* index from the APM server and agents. Also the setup instruction checks show "You have correctly setup APM-Server" and "Data successfully received from one or more agents".

I even tried clearing all APM related data from elasticsearch and Kibana.

Looks like dashboards like "[APM] Services" show correctly the running services.

Sorry about the troubles upgrading. The 6.4 APM UI introduced some optimizations to speed up queries, following from changes to the default configuration in apm-server 6.3. There are two options to get the APM UI going again:

1. Update apm-server.yml to split event types into separate indices:
output.elasticsearch:
  indices:
    - index: "apm-%{[beat.version]}-sourcemap"
      when.contains:
        processor.event: "sourcemap"
    - index: "apm-%{[beat.version]}-error-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"
      when.contains:
        processor.event: "error"
    - index: "apm-%{[beat.version]}-transaction-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"
      when.contains:
        processor.event: "transaction"
    - index: "apm-%{[beat.version]}-span-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"
      when.contains:
        processor.event: "span"
    - index: "apm-%{[beat.version]}-metric-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"
      when.contains:
        processor.event: "metric"
    - index: "apm-%{[beat.version]}-onboarding-%{+yyyy.MM.dd}"
      when.contains:
        processor.event: "onboarding"

This will allow the APM UI to find all new events. If you need access to older events, do step 2 also.

1. Following https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/apm-settings-kb.html, direct APM UI to look for events in apm-*. Add these settings to kibana.yml:
apm_oss.errorIndices: apm-*
apm_oss.spanIndices: apm-*
apm_oss.transactionIndices: apm-*
apm_oss.onboardingIndices: apm-*
1 Like

That did the trick. I don't remember seeing that in the release notes / breaking changes.

I'm glad to hear that worked out, thanks for getting back to us.

That's a good point about the release notes - I'll follow up with the appropriate team to track that down.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.