Misleading Sum Date Histogram chart with Split Series

Hello y'all!

When I Create a Sum chart with date histogram and Split Series by Significant Terms (where should be no specific order), I get the series sorted anyway independently of the value of the SUM calculation.

And I was wondering if this is intended or what.

Thanks for your attention.

Kind regards!

Hi,

I am not 100% sure I correctly understand your question here? When using Significant Terms as a split, it will sort the series by "their significance". This is something that doesn't necessarily make much sense in a splitted xyaxis chart, and I am not sure if Significant Terms is the right split you want. It looks to me like you'd more likely just want a "Terms" split.

Cheers,
Tim

The fact is, that "Terms" was the first approach. And there's an "Order by" setting that sorts the drawing regarding its value, and event with "Metric: ..." value I'm experiencing the same. That's why I gave a try to "Significant Terms", because I though that wouldn't do the order thing, and just draw the SUM intervals where they should be by it's op result, and not having higher values below lower values like you can clearly see on the images

Thanks for the quick reply.

Kind regards!

Hi,

yes the stacking order is always the first sorted series on the bottom and the rest on top. You cannot change that in Kibana.

A small side-node from data visualization aspects: You're currently using a stacked line chart, which we usually would not recommend doing (and thus also not allow it in our newer visualization editor Lens). I'd recommend if you want to use line visualizations to disable the stacking under the "Metrics & axes" tab, switch the "Mode" to "normal" instead of "stacked":

Since the area under the line is not filled, using "stacked" mode can be really confusing for the viewers of your visualization, why we'd in general recommend using area charts if you want to have it stacked, or using normal mode if you want to use a line chart.

Cheers,
Tim

Ooooooh there you go... Thank you very much Tim!! :partying_face:

However, It would make more sense(at least to me) to have "Normal" mode as default setting on creation. But, anyway, happy to learn that :grin:

Hi,

the "normal" mode should actually be the default for line chart :slight_smile: I guess what happened here is that this chart was initially created as a bar chart (where "stacked" is the default) and then switched over to be a line chart. We're still considering removing stacked line charts completely (so you could not even get in that situation anymore when switching the type) also outside of Lens, since - as you can tell - it's mostly just confusing and not providing any benefit :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tim

I think that specifically I mistook Area plot with the Line one on a quick click when creating. I just checked and Stacked is the default option as well :sweat_smile:

Many thanks for your help Tim!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.