Missing plugin command in elastic

Hi.
I have elasticsearch up and running in linux (manjaro). But I'm missing somthing because all docs and forums keep mentioning bin/plugin command and I just don't have that.
https://www.elastic.co/downloads/marvel
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/marvel/current/installing-marvel.html

Writing whereis elasticsearch i get:
/usr/bin/elasticsearch /etc/elasticsearch /usr/share/elasticsearch

None of these have "plugin" in the bin folder.

This kinda worked but I don't know if the command is equivalent to docs one:
sudo /usr/bin/elasticsearch-plugin install license sudo /usr/bin/elasticsearch-plugin install marvel-agent

When I go to localhost:9200/_plugin/marvel I get a blank page.

For kibana I did this:
sudo bin/kibana plugin --install elasticsearch/marvel/latest

And now marvel is present in kibana.

Any clue?

What version are you running with?

ElasticSearch 2.4.0
And Kibana 4.6.1

And did you install with apt/yum?

I installed using pacman.
sudo pacman -S elasticsearch

Btw, Head plugin did work.
sudo /usr/bin/elasticsearch-plugin install mobz/elasticsearch-head

test: http://localhost:9200/_plugin/head/ displays the plugin

So, not sure why marvel displays a white screen (and maybe a 404 error)

If I list the plugins, both are there:
cd /usr/share/elasticsearch
ls plugins/

head license marvel-agent

What's pacman?

elasticsearch-plugin is only applicable for 5.0 and above. if you are really on 2.4 then you need to use /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin/plugin.

Well, my distro is based in linux arch. It's called manjaro. And pacman is the package manager.
I installed the ELK stack following tutorials like this one:

Thanks for that last comment, but the point is that I don't have "plugin" under "bin" folder. See:
ls /usr/share/elasticsearch/bin

elasticsearch.in.sh

That's why I just can't follow the installation process I mentioned originally. Not sure what's going on.

I dunno either, it's not a directly supported platform and I don't know how that packaging manager works sorry.

Hi Guillermo -

If you're using ES 2.x, you can access Marvel by going to

localhost:9200/app/marvel

This is because from ES 2.0, Marvel became a Kibana plugin and is accessible by firstly launching Kibana instance and then switching to the Marvel app from the app switch icon as shown below.

Hope this helps,
Bohyun

It's ok, thanks.

Isn't 2.4 supposed to be the latest version?

Not sure how we get into v5.0? I searched and it seems to be a beta:

(and why it's called 5.0 anyway? Shouldn't it be 2.5?)

Arch repos usually have the bleeding edge versions. It's different to ubuntu. So, I think I have the latest because I installed a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Bohyun! Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I do see Marvel under Kibana. But I don't see Sense, and that's why I was trying to access through the "old" URI.

Btw, your link returns:
{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"No feature for name [marvel]"}],"type":"illegal_argument_exception","reason":"No feature for name [marvel]"},"status":400}

Not sure what should I expect. But as I said, Marvel indeed exists inside Kibana. I'll try to get Sense listed.

Hi Guillermo -

This is because I gave you the URL with the wrong port number. If you haven't changed the port number for Kibana, you'd probably reach the Marvel end point at

localhost:5601/app/marvel

you can find the instructions here: Installing Sense | Sense Documentation | Elastic

Hope that helps,
Bohyun

Great. Thanks a lot @bohyun
It all makes sense now.

Yes! Please feel free to check out our 5.0 beta1 and let us know if you have any feedback.

It's called 5.0 because we started a unified release process for all of our products and since Kibana was already on 4.x, it made sense to bump up the versions for all of the other products.

Cheers,
Bohyun

1 Like