Multiple kibana in production

I am going to use elasticsearch cluster in which there is 3 master node and 3 data node. And i read the docs of use kibana in production environment i am planning to have another node of elasticsearch which will act as a coordinating node...in coordinating node i will install kibana. now the question is if there are 100 members who will use the kibana for dashboarding do i need 100 kibana for each member or is there any way that kibana will not slowdown?

now the question is if there are 100 members who will use the kibana for dashboarding do i need 100 kibana for each member or is there any way that kibana will not slowdown?

This is a tough question to answer, because it depends on so many different factors.

For example, if all 100 users are logged in at once and generating a bunch of huge reports simultaneously, you may run into performance problems on the Kibana side.

Or if all 100 users are running a bunch of expensive queries from Dashboards with a ton of visualizations at the same time, you could run into performance problems with Elasticsearch instead (which will then cause slowness in Kibana).

There's also the question of what other applications are accessing ES. Are you just querying ES from Kibana? Do you have other applications that are talking to your cluster?

If you plan to use coordinating-only nodes in Elasticsearch, you can choose whether to deploy each new Kibana instance alongside a new coordinating-only node, or you could deploy each new Kibana in standalone instances outside of your cluster, and configure them to all point to the same coordinating node. This choice really depends on how much usage you are expecting and what your resiliency needs are.

For example, if you deploy Kibana alongside a coordinating node, and that Kibana deployment is overwhelmed causing the node to go down, then any other Kibana instances talking to that coordinating node will stop working as well.

All of this said, the good news is you should definitely be able to support more than one user per Kibana instance. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you are concerned about performance issues but aren't yet sure how much load you are going to be putting on Kibana and your cluster, my recommendation would be to set Kibana up behind a load balancer from the beginning, with just 1 or 2 instances. Then if you start to see any performance problems or find that your Kibana server is overloaded, you can always add more instances behind the LB, and they could either be deployed alongside a new coordinating node, or on their own pointing to the existing one. This would give you the most flexibility to make changes in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.