New Install - Security Error

Hi I am new to Elastic. I have just installed Elasticsearch and Kibana. I am able to hit Elasticsearch on my browser. I configured it with basic security. I am now trying to connect with Kibana and I get "Kibana server is not ready yet" displayed on the browser. When I looked at the kibana.log the error message was:

["error","savedobjects-service"],"pid":412971,"message":"[.kibana] Action failed with 'security_exception: [security_exception] Reason: action [indices:admin/mapping/put] is unauthorized for user [elastic] wit
h roles [superuser] on restricted indices [.kibana_7.17.4_001], this action is granted by the index privileges [manage,all]'

In my kibana.yml file I have used my Elasticsearch user and password as below:

elasticsearch.username: "elastic"
elasticsearch.password: "MyPasswordHere"

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

• jason

Hi,

So the Elasticsearch.username here is for kibana_system as you can see in the commented lines in kibana.yml. Did you set up the password? Here is our doc which explains it.

If your Elasticsearch is protected with basic authentication, these settings provide

the username and password that the Kibana server uses to perform maintenance on the Kibana

index at startup. Your Kibana users still need to authenticate with Elasticsearch, which

is proxied through the Kibana server.

#elasticsearch.username: "kibana_system"
#elasticsearch.password: "pass"

Thanks,
Bhavya

Hi thanks for your reply. I used the Elasticsearch-reset-password command to set my password and used that password in the Elasticsearch.password field. I used the built-in user elastic for the Elasticsearch.username field.

I still have not solved this problem. Any more Ideas?

You need to use the kibana_system user for connecting kibana to elasticsearch as suggested above.

I'm sorry I misunderstood. Thanks both of you.

Best regards,

Jason

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.