No Index Pattern with Kibana Spaces?

Hello, no index patterns are setup by default for Kibana Spaces.

To reproduce

1. Create Space & select all features
  2. Create a Role, select an index and a permission, assign the role to the Space & select all Space features.
  3. Create a user and assign it to the Role
  4. Login to Kibana with the user
  5. After successfully signing in, user sees this message

In order to visualize and explore data in Kibana, you'll need to create an index pattern to retrieve data from Elasticsearch.

screen shot

• As an administrator is it intended for me to now create an index pattern(s) for this space?
  • I already selected which index(s) they have access to in step 2
  • If i want them to have access to all indexes, shall i create a * index pattern, or create a pattern for each index? Where is the documented pros/cons for this?

Hello,
Index patterns are mainly just pointers to a collection of indices. Each space has to define it's own, as they are independent by space (just the same as visualizations, dashboards and saved searches).
You could create the index patterns by yourself if you don't think the users will have the ability to do so, but it's pretty straightforward and they'll only see the indices they have access to in the index pattern wizard.
Does this answer your questions?

Incredible insight..

Where is this simple piece of knowledge documented?

Index patterns are mainly just pointers to a collection of indices. Each space has to define it's own, as they are independent by space (just the same as visualizations, dashboards and saved searches).

It's not explicitly said anywhere, but it can be deduced from this: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/tutorial-define-index.html

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.