No monitoring data collected

I've just setup a small elastic cluster with version 6.5.2. I've activated monitoring both in kibana and logstash and I can see that there are monitoring indexes for all:

[ambnic@myhome ~]$ curl http://localhost:9200/_cat/indices/.monitoring*?v
health status index                             uuid                   pri rep docs.count docs.deleted store.size pri.store.size
green  open   .monitoring-logstash-6-2018.12.11 2BSMhJ9LR5ekVpYMeDMeJA   1   1          0            0       522b           261b
green  open   .monitoring-es-6-2018.12.11       2nLZ-fGRSlCtXxCMZc_KpQ   1   1          0            0       522b           261b
green  open   .monitoring-kibana-6-2018.12.11   y5rgH1emQWyZJNwCwKGOmA   1   1          0            0       522b           261b

As you can see the docs.count is 0 for all indices and in Kibana I get "No monitoring data found. Try setting the time filter to "Last 1 hour" or check if data is available for a different time period."

Everything is setup as per defaults and my cluster settings are as follows:

[ambnic@myhome ~]$ curl -X GET "localhost:9200/_cluster/settings?pretty" 
{
  "persistent" : {
    "xpack" : {
      "monitoring" : {
        "collection" : {
          "enabled" : "true"
        }
      }
    }
  },
  "transient" : {  }
}

As far as I understand monitoring data should be collected every 10s be default, but I still cannot see anything. Note also that I'm sending in some logs data and that works perfectly fine.

Are you seeing an errors in your Elasticsearch logs, particularly on your master node?

In the logs I get

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: There are no ingest nodes in this cluster, unable to forward request to an ingest node.

Indeed I have three master/data nodes but no ingest node. I have now set all as as also ingest nodes and indeed it solved my issue.

I suspected that that could be the cause, but I found nothing in the documentation on monitoring and on the local exporter that pointed to the necessity of ingest nodes. You might want see over the documentation on that point (Collecting monitoring data | Elasticsearch Guide [6.5] | Elastic).

Thanks @Nicola_Ambrosetti_Br. I've created a GitHub issue to track the documentation work you suggested: https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/issues/36508

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.