No recovery message generated when using Elasticsearch query Kibana Alert type

Hello,

I want to deploy notification based on custom query.

For this scenario, I use logstash to fetch data from devices

I want to catch all new documents where i.e. the field "failover.status.message" has a different value than "OK". For that purpose, I use the below query and settings in Kibana.

{
  "sort": [
    {
      "@timestamp": {
        "order": "desc",
        "unmapped_type": "boolean"
      }
    }
  ],
  "_source": true,
  "query": {
    "bool": {
      "must": [],
      "filter": [
        {
            "filter": [
              {
                  "must_not": {
                      "should": [
                        {
                          "match_phrase": {
                            "failover.status.message": "OK"
                          }
                        }
                      ],
                      "minimum_should_match": 1
                    }
                  }
                }
              },
              {
                  "should": [
                    {
                      "match_phrase": {
                        "tags": "failover"
                      }
                    }
                  ],
                  "minimum_should_match": 1
                }
              }
            ]
          }
        }
      ],
      "should": [],
      "must_not": []
    }
  }
}

I can get an alert document in the notification index but only for the "Query matched" action. Not when there is Action "Recovery" which I guess should occur when a particular query does not match.

Please advise is some kind of bug or a misunderstanding of the functionality of this mechanism?

Elasticsearch and Kibana version is: 7.17-5

I can get an alert document in the notification index but only for the "Query matched" action. Not when there is Action "Recovery" which I guess should occur when a particular query does not match.

Close - the Recovered action group is only used when the query does not match for an execution, but it did in a previous execution.

From the screenshot showing the rule in a recovered state, I would expected the recovered action should have been run.

Can you check your Kibana logs to see if any errors were reported while executing the actions?

Hello Patrick,

thank you for your answer.

Yes, I can see some error message(foolish of me to not check that in the first place)

{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-07-07T13:53:27+00:00","tags":["error","plugins","actions"],"pid":789468,"message":"error indexing documents: failed to parse field [context_date] of type [date] in document with id 'XH3v2IEB2-liSoZO3m8X'. Preview of field's value: '' (cannot parse empty date)"}
[2022-07-07T13:53:27.577+00:00][ERROR][plugins.actions] error indexing documents: failed to parse field [context_date] of type [date] in document with id 'XH3v2IEB2-liSoZO3m8X'. Preview of field's value: '' (cannot parse empty date)
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-07-07T13:53:27+00:00","tags":["warning","plugins","actions"],"pid":789468,"message":"action execution failure: .index:6ffaf080-6fd0-11ec-83ce-ed30ff40c91d: AlertIndexConnector: error indexing documents: failed to parse field [context_date] of type [date] in document with id 'XH3v2IEB2-liSoZO3m8X'. Preview of field's value: '' (cannot parse empty date)"}
{"type":"log","@timestamp":"2022-07-07T13:53:27+00:00","tags":["error","plugins","actions"],"pid":789468,"message":"Action '6ffaf080-6fd0-11ec-83ce-ed30ff40c91d' failed and will not retry: error indexing documents"}
[2022-07-07T13:53:27.578+00:00][WARN ][plugins.actions] action execution failure: .index:6ffaf080-6fd0-11ec-83ce-ed30ff40c91d: AlertIndexConnector: error indexing documents: failed to parse field [context_date] of type [date] in document with id 'XH3v2IEB2-liSoZO3m8X'. Preview of field's value: '' (cannot parse empty date)
[2022-07-07T13:53:27.579+00:00][ERROR][plugins.actions] Action '6ffaf080-6fd0-11ec-83ce-ed30ff40c91d' failed and will not retry: error indexing documents

We'll be adding support to surface these action-related errors in the UX in a future release. Sorry you have to go to the Kibana logs today.

What is probably happening is that the recovery action does not have context.* variables set - only the "top level" mustache variables listed here: Create and manage rules | Kibana Guide [8.3] | Elastic

We are adding support for context.* variables in recovery actions in upcoming releases, but there will be some context variables for some rules that simply won't be able to be populated.

Since it's complaining about a date field, I'm guessing you used a date field from a context.* variable like context.date or maybe a field from context.hits. I'm not sure once we populate the context variables for recovery actions for this rule type, if hits will be available or not.

If you're just looking for the "current" date, you can use the mustache variable date.

To debug this some more, you might want to take the JSON body you're using with the index action, and use it some other action like server log (I think it will mess up the formatting though), email, slack, etc. That way you can see what's being sent to the ES index call.

You are right Patrick,

I had used the same values for "Recovery" action document to index as for "Querry matched" action.

{
  "date": "{{date}}",
  "context_message": "{{context.message}}",
  "params_esQuery": "{{params.esQuery}}",
  "rule_spaceId": "{{rule.spaceId}}",
  "rule_name": "{{rule.name}}",
  "context_title": "{{context.title}}",
  "context_value": "{{context.value}}",
  "context_conditions": "{{context.conditions}}",
  "params_thresholdComparator": "{{params.thresholdComparator}}",
  "rule_id": "{{rule.id}}",
  "kibanaBaseUrl": "{{kibanaBaseUrl}}",
  "params_threshold": "{{params.threshold}}",
  "rule_tags": "{{rule.tags}}",
  "rule_type": "{{rule.type}}",
  "context_date": "{{context.date}}",
  "alert_id": "{{alert.id}}",
  "params_size": "{{params.size}}",
  "alert_actionGroupName": "{{alert.actionGroupName}}",
  "alert_actionSubgroup": "{{alert.actionSubgroup}}",
  "context_hits": "{{context.hits}}",
  "params_index": "{{params.index}}",
  "alert_actionGroup": "{{alert.actionGroup}}"
}

I have removed all the "context" stuff and now it index recovery document. But there is no way to know what document was used. They could be grouped by host.hostname i.e.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.