Plugin [repository-hdfs] is incompatible with Elasticsearch [2.1.1]. Was designed for version [2.2.0-SNAPSHOT]

I'm trying to integrate HDFS with Elastic Search to use it as the repository for snapshots. You can find the documentation here.
Hadoop is already installed and running on my system so I'm using the light version. I'm installing the plugin offline after downloading it's zip from here.
When I try installing using the command

bin/plugin install file:/filepath

I get the following error:

ERROR: Plugin [repository-hdfs] is incompatible with Elasticsearch [2.1.1]. Was designed for version [2.2.0-SNAPSHOT].

Can someone tell what's going wrong?

As it says, you have the wrong version.
You probably want bin/plugin install elasticsearch/elasticsearch-repository-hdfs/2.1.0.

When I use 2.1.1, it complains that "could not find plugin descriptor 'plugin-descriptor.properties' file in plugin zip"

Typo.
Did you try replacing the 0 with a 1?

Yeah, I tried the version 2.1.0 as well as 2.1.1. Both of them give the same error, that is could not find plugin descriptor in 'plugin-descriptor.properties' file in plugin zip"

You don't specify what version you are using - I assume that's ES 2.1.1

For ES 2.0.0, try plugin version 2.2.0-beta1
For ES 2.1.0, try plugin version 2.2.0-rc1

The latest snapshot version works as well.
However since ES now does a strict check against a plugin, as @warkolm mentioned, sometimes you need to adjust the version inside the plugin with your target ES.
So you can take the latest plugin or 2.2.0-rc1 above, look into the zip, modify the plugin-descriptor.properties (in particular the ES version) and install it again.

1 Like

Thanks Costin. That solved the problem.

Glad to hear.