[Resolved] Korean text is broken when open the exported CSV with Excel


(Jungmi) #1

I tried to open my CSV that i exported on Kibana Dashbord on Excel.
However it was broken like this. It looks BOM header issue. So I re-stored it file with "UTF-8 BOM" on Sublime Text.
But it is still broken. My OS is MAC. So i tried to save it on Windows Notepade. Then it is working, not broken.

I want to know that Kibana has a fixing plan this export CSV isssue?


(Matt Bargar) #2

Hi @Jungmi_Yoo, I tried to reproduce the issue but I'm not having success, I might need some more information from you.

  • What version of Kibana/Elasticsearch are you using?
  • Can you provide relevant steps to reproduce? A sample document or two that demonstrate the problem would be great.
  • What platform are you using Excel on? I don't have Excel, but I was able to import into Apple's Numbers without issue. Is Excel the only application that has issues with the file?

(Jungmi) #3

Here are my answers.

  • What version of Kibana/Elasticsearch are you using?
    ==> Kibana : 4.5.1 Elasticsearch : 2.3.3

  • Can you provide relevant steps to reproduce? A sample document or two that demonstrate the problem would be great.
    ==> reproduce steps

    1. go to "Visualize"
    2. select "Data table"
    3. select "from a new search"
    4. select my index
    5. add bucket with these values.
      • select "Split Rows"
      • Aggregation : "Terms"
      • Field : the filed has Korean text data.
      • order : Descending
    6. run
    7. export with "Raw" feature.
  • What platform are you using Excel on? I don't have Excel, but I was able to import into Apple's Numbers without issue. Is Excel the only application that has issues with the file?
    ==> this issue is raising on both platform MAC OS and Windows. when i opne the exported CSV file is fine. But this issue only produced when I open on EXCEL.

Therefore I'm thinking it looks BOM (Byte Order Mark) issue related with Microsoft.

Thanks,


(Lee Drengenberg) #4

Hi Jungmi,

I tested on Windows and I see that the csv files Kibana exports are UTF-8 encoding.

For test data, I loaded this one doc with some unicode characters;

{
  "accounts_info": {
    "server": "localhost",
    "type": "£¥₧ƒ¢֍֎۞߷ೱೲ๏ᐂᚙ⏰⏳☸"
  }
}

After I loaded it I realized that the standard analyzer parsed that string on things it considered currency and maybe others into 3 separate terms. I'm not going to worry about that.

So here's what I have in my data table visualization;

When I export that I get this;

"accounts_info.type: Descending",Count
"ƒ",1
"ೱೲ",1
"ᐂᚙ",1

If I just click on the csv file and select "Open with Excel" (Excel 2016) I get garbage;

But if I open Excel and use Data > Get External Data > From File and check that the
File origin is 65001: Unicode (UTF-8) (mine was already set that way).
Then I can see that the data is the same as I saw in Kibana (and the same as the document I loaded except for the analyzing);

So please try to load your csv into Excel by this Get External Data method and see if that works better.

Regards,
Lee


(Jungmi) #5

Thank you so much Lee.
This issue is resolved on Winodw. on Mac, i can use the Numbers.( Excel:mac 2011 is not works.)

Thanks again,
Jungmi


(system) #6